cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Note 8 charging issue

The subject line is very generic since it involves two issues. Not sure if they are related but appears to surface at around the same time. 

1. It won't recognize charger at all (neither fast or cable charging) after undocking from Gear VR. After removing the phone from my Gear VR, it won't charge (yes, even with the charger that came with the phone). The only way I can get it to charge again is my restarting the phone.

2. Wireless charging no longer work.  Tried it on multiple (different brand) wireless charger which use to work. Phone won't charge at all.

I don't want to reset the phone yet - hoping that someone will be able to figure it out. My record of reseting the phone to fix a problem is 50-50.  

Software version on phone: N950U1UES7DTE5/N950U1OYM7DTE5/N950U1UES7DTE5

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 8 charging issue

Hello!

Thank you for reaching out, I can understand wanting to keep your device charged. Have you been able to test your device while in safe mode to see if your symptoms persist? You can do so bu following these steps.

Press and hold the power button until power off, restart, and emergency mode show on screen
Tap and hold on the power off option until it changes to safe mode, then tap on safe mode.
The phone will then reboot into safe mode. You will be able to check that it is by a grey transparent box in the bottom left of the screen that says safe mode.

Let me know how it performs for you in safe mode!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes, rebooting in safe mode would let me charge with the wireless charger as well as with cable BUT so does rebooting the phone in normal mode as I have mentioned in my original post. The problem is that the charging (cable or wireless) will stopped working everytime after undocking from Gear VR. Now while I had the phone connected to the Gear VR, if I plug in the power to the Gear VR, it would charge the phone. However, as soon as I have undocked the phone from Gear VR, the phone just refuses to charge (again, cable or wirelessly) UNLESS I have the phone reboot. 

I did follow your instruction to get it in SAFE mode. I even have the Note 8 connected to the Gear VR (which did not load since it won't open 3rd party app while in SAFE mode) and then undock it. Charging with cable and wireless still works. Could it be that the version of Oculus app (9.0.0.182.473) is bad? I had the app removed and reinstalled. The problem is still there. Very inconvenient.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Another update, wireless charging would stop working at some point even without docking/undocking from Gear VR. I will try to narrow down if it is an app related by paying close attention to what app I will be using.