cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userAPqaz82fSf
Constellation

Re: Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same here. Samsung must show respect for its consumers, assume the problem and find a way to fix it.

userjHFiiapD3Z
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The same here.... I've stopped trying recently... even though I need it for my online banking too in the first place. 

joemonkey
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

hi again,

i am the original user who started the thread. since then i have stopped using the fingerprint unlock because it's so unreliable. i have tried all the suggestions here but none of them work, really.

even after removed and re-added the fingerprint(s), it works for a while then it fails.

i read one samsung support suggested it could be caused by a 3rd party app and that we should remove them, seriously?? do they even know how tedious to remove all 3rd party apps solely to isolate this problem.

i honestly think the fingerprint feature is buggy, plus the physical position on the back was a huge mistake. 

my next phone will have in-display fingerprint unlock and definitely not a samsung phone because samsung seem to ignore this bug despite so many users have complained.

Highlighted
Maris
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the T-Mobile version and have the same problem. I could barely get my finger recognized during setup are kept getting the same error message to be sure my finger covered the sensor. It did. I never had this problem before.
userKTSnKhHOyL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am an electrician and I don't wear gloves that often so my finger tips get damaged. Today my phone stopped unlocking with the fingerprint scanner so i was trying to reprogram the scanner with the same fingers again (index fingers) but when I was adding a new print my phone would not even recognize my index fingers as fingers. I tried my middle finger and worked great. So make sure the skin on your finger tips isn't all jacked up

Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the note 8 from Sprint and I am also experiencing this problem. It used to work very well, however last few weeks it takes anywhere between 20 to 50 tries. Mostly complains about not fully covering the sensor. Now when I try to add a new fingerprint, it will take me 10 minutes just to get to 100 pct. I don't have sweaty fingers and there are no drop and no water damage.
dpelchat
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone started having the same issue lately, which brought me here. The phone always says to make sure my finger covers the sensor completely (it does) and I can't register any fingerprint. It used to work great. I am with Bell Mobility in Canada. The phone is like new, never dropped and no water damage. None of the troubleshooting steps worked.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userJyb1u2FEOr, did you attempt any of the troubleshooting laid out above?

@dpelchat, this board is for providing support for US devices, our ability as moderators to help you troubleshoot your device is limited for international devices. For the best support for your device, I would recommend reaching out to your regional support to get the best support. If anyone is experiencing this same difficulty with your device, you're welcome to look for support from our community, though!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Charley000
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same problem on my S8. It worked find when I bought it. But then stopped after one of the Samsung updates (I have the factory unlocked model - Baseband version G950U1UES2AQL1 Kernel version 4.4.16-12512977 Build number NRDM90M.G950U1UES2AQL1 etc. All standard Samsung latest updates.

I can register fingers with my right hand very quickly. But almost impossible to get any registration with fingers on my left hand. All I get is the "Make sure your finger covers the entire sensor". I can try for hours and still get nowhere. I have tried multiple different fingers. Yet if I use fingers from my right hand, they are recognized right away.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you mind attempting to put your phone into safe mode to see if this impacts your ability to use this feature?

1. Power your device down
2. Then power it back on
3. Pressing and holding the Volume Down key when you see the Samsung logo

Let me know if that helps!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.