cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userTZPom0j6Zx
Constellation

Re: Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My note 8 fingerprint has the same problem from last month. I believe there be some bug in the software update. Samsung should have a solution, that is unacceptable, just for one year slight usage. 

My model: SM-N950U1

Tomcat
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this same issue. After waking the phone the fingerprint scanner will not work. I use my pin to unlock then after that it will start working but the swipe gesture will stop working until I restart the device. I have done soft resets and cleared the partition cache and the problem still happens every other day or so. Is this a software or hardware issue? Should I exchange while ok am under my 30 days for a replacement?

Sunny1011
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So what are we do about this? Do we get exchange to new Note 8? Can we please? I CANNOT use fingerprint scanner whenever I want and it now gets annoying..

What is the solution? 

userdweHG5fNgC
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Fingerprint scanner used to work perfectly for me but stopped a few weeks ago. Face recognition still works. Soft reset and deletion of cache partition did not help. 

Is it worth trying Factory reset?

Big nuisance. 

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It may be worth it, @userdweHG5fNgC.

I would suggest putting your phone into safe mode first to see if this affects your ability to use the fingerprint sensor.

You can access Safe Mode by

1. power your device down
  2. then power it back on
  3. pressing and holding the Volume Down key when you see the Samsung logo

You’ll know it’s active because the words “Safe Mode” will appear in the bottom left-hand corner.

Let us know if you are able to use your phone's fingerprint sensor in this mode.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
userdweHG5fNgC
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

thank you for the reply.(No idea how I got such a weird user name on this forum..looks like a bit of a broadband router password!)

The last thing I did was make a backup to sd card using the samsung smart transfer app.

But I hesitated to reset the phone.  Tried to scan new fingerprints  but no finger would go past about 24%. ("make sure finger covers entire sensor")

Read your comment, picked up the phone (with thumb over the front camera to prevent face recognition opening it; and trusted plces and devices off) tried the fingerprint  scanner and it opened the phone immediately!  Works ok again! Thats  weird. 

But still cannot record a new fingerprint, after about >100 finger positions it was up to 50% at best. My wife tried, different fingers, same failure to record a new fingerprint.

In SAFE MODE its the same behaviour for opening the phone (ok) and fingerprint scanning  ... very very difficult to get past about 25%. Maybe I should delete the exisiting fingerprints?

Thanks anyway.

Great to have these button combinations for booting 

userah9q2XaK6u
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried mine in safe mode and it still doesn't work. 

Update coming soon?

userG1P6Qu6V02
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Im having the same issue with my FP not working. On my home screen it says "fingerprint scanner is not responding. please try again later". When I go on settings to access the fingerprint settings it doesnt allow me to edit any of the fingerprints and instead says "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device." Ive restarted my device many many times, tried clearing the cache in the recovery mode by pressing power bixby ans volume up(didnt work), ive tried accessing in safe mode but same error messages come up as normal mode so cant delete any fingerprints. Ive tried everything all the samsung team have suggested but none of it works!! 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I please have your full model number and IMEI in a private message?

userIW2x7vlhFg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am facing exactly the same issue.