cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunny1011
Asteroid

Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I preordered this Galaxy Note 8 from Verizon and I was trying ti register my fingerprint. It was saying 'make sure your finger covers the entire sensor' for 90% of the time I WAS covering the entire sensor and I found this extremely annoying because I'm having hard time using Samsung Pay or Knox or anyother security related program. Nearly less than 1 time out of 10 tries, it recognize my fingerprint . It is even harder to register a fingerprint because you have to try to make it to 100% for it to get your fingerprint right but it will just keep not sensing your finger. I manually added two fingerprints identities for my left and right index (total of 4) hoping if it can increase accuracy. But not much of than improvement..

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MToney922
Asteroid

Re: Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungTrevor  the fingerprint scanner is working fine now. I didn't have to back up the data.  Once I downloaded smart switch to my MacBook Pro, smart switch had an update for Note 8.  Once I downloaded the update for the Note 8 from smart switch and my phone restarted my fingerprint scanner started working.  But I deleted the fingerprint I had registered and added 2 new prints just to be safe.  Thanks for your help.

115 REPLIES 115
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry to hear about this, @Sunny1011, we’re going to perform a Soft Reset of your device which simulates a battery pull. It will not remove any of your data from the device and just refreshes the system. Sometimes this process can clear up minor problems and internal errors but will prepare your device for further troubleshooting if it does not. If you would, power your device down by holding the Volume Down and Power keys until the device shuts off. Then boot it back on and let me know how it responds.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Sunny1011
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungTrevor

Not sure if this helped or not. I have sweaty hands but I wiped and dried my hands completely before even give feedback because I need to be sure. On my previous Note 5's fingerprint scanner, it worked better with same fingers of mine. I see my friends Iphones unlocking theirs within nearly no delay with pretty decent accuracy. No offense, I've been a Samsung users for a decade now, never an iphone user or anything else. I want my Note 8 to be good. Not sure if this is defective or its just a software bug or something else. What else can I do? Or can you provide me more detailed instructions in case I am skipping some steps

userGUkTW4Z989
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

this exact problem is happening with my preordered note 8 from t-mobile, it keeps telling me to make sure i cover the sensor which i know i am more than a few times and it only manages to register a couple times from all of the taps i've done.  i also want to know what to do or if i should try to get a replacement note 8 because of this problem

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let's try to look into this together. @userGUkTW4Z989, did you attempt the soft reset as detailed above with no improved accuracy?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userGUkTW4Z989
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did try the soft reset a couple times to be honest and it still was acting up

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userGUkTW4Z989 are you attempting to retrain the fingerprint detection with the same finger or using multiple fingers?

userGUkTW4Z989
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been trying multiple fingers and it still doesn't register that well it keeps doing the same message 

Ukfan031
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am also having the same problem with the fingerprint sensor.  Have tried all of the trouble shooting that has been mentioned in the thread.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for specifying that, @Ukfan031.

Did you still see this difficulty while your device was in Safe Mode?

Would you also mind providing me with some details about your device?

• Model Number
  • Baseband version
  • Carrier

You can find this version in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!