cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 8 fingerprint scanner not working.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to clarify you are having issues registering your fingerprint?

usernX1UwHWUe3
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having problems doing anything with the fingerprint. I'm not sure how I'm not being more clear.

I have no fingerprints attached.  I go into settings, fingerprints and then add a fingerprint. When I get there, it pops up the message.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could you please send me your full model number and IMEI in a private message?

Sunny1011
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

not just registrating fingerprint, but scanning itself. And this affects any activity include fingerprint scanning. Financial matter, secure login, samsung pay etc. That's why I mostly use Iris Scanner if they have that option.

user1oRJgmmuxO
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been facing this problem for the past few days. I registered my fingerprints several times (every time it would take a long time to complete the registration, but I managed) but the problem continued. 

In one of the replies on this forum I found a suggested solution stating one has to cover the front camera and disable trusted places and devises. I tried covering the front camera, and it worked with some of the payment apps. So I realised that there is something that is making the phone look for face id when we are trying fingerprint. 

Then I went to the settings and in the Biometrics Preference, I changed it from Face recognition to Fingerprints.

Then I tried the payment apps and found that it worked fine with finger prints without having to cover the front camera!

Then I removed face ID as a method of unlocking and then re-registered some of the finger prints. I also felt that the fingerprint registration happened slightly faster when I covered the front camera, though I am not really sure if it helped. 

Then I reactivated face ID for unlocking.

So it seems to work fine now. 

userEiIh4WKh6P
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This seems to happen fairly randomly to people after a software update. I've read through this thread, and SOMETIMES clearing the cache, a factory reset, or some other standard fix works, but for other people nothing does.

I've noticed that after mine started the 'cover the entire sensor' routine, registering the right finger is a lot easier than the left. For the left finger, I actually have to center my finger OFF the sensor, to the lower left (looking at the front of the phone) to have any real success. This seems to indicate that a software update makes the sensor 'window' skewed; it's looking for the fingerprint at a point other than the center of the sensor.

I'm hoping that the software devs are looking at this thread, and will find a way to stabilize the software window to accurately 'see' the physical sensor.