cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useroZd3TuP6vh
Asteroid

Note 8 mobile hotspot extremely slow

JUMP TO SOLUTION
With Wi-Fi turned off and Mobile Hotspot turned on, I ran the OOKLA Speedtest app to measure the download speed on my Note 8 phone and that on my iPad connected thru the Note 8 mobile hotspot. 

Result:

28.57 Mbps on Note 8 (this is the bandwidth of my cellular service provider)

0.51 Mbps via Note 8 mobile hotspot (this shows a 56 fold reduction in bandwidth)

I reproduced the same problem on another Note 8.

Is this a known problem? Is there a firmware patch that fixes this problem? 

My cellular service provider is T-mobile. I use this mobile hotspot functionality when I'm on the road. I have no mobile hotspot performance problem on my T-mobile HTC M8 phone. So, this is a serious show-stopper problem on the Note 8.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useroZd3TuP6vh
Asteroid

Re: Note 8 mobile hotspot extremely slow

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have T-Mobile ONE plan which includes unlimited data, so they throttled the Mobile Hotspot speed to 512 KBps (to limit the sharing of the unlimited data). So, the bandwidth reduction isn't the fault of the Note 8.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
useroZd3TuP6vh
Asteroid

Note 8 mobile hotspot extremely slow

JUMP TO SOLUTION

With Wi-Fi turned off and Mobile Hotspot turned on, I ran the OOKLA Speedtest app to measure the download speed on my Note 8 phone and that on my iPad connected thru the Note 8 mobile hotspot.

Result:
28.57 Mbps on Note8 (this is the bandwidth of my cellular service provider)
0.51 Mbps via Note 8 mobile hotspot (this shows a 56 fold reduction in bandwidth)

I reproduced the same problem on another Note 8.

Is this a known problem? Is there a firmware patch that fixes this problem?

My cellular service provider is T-mobile. I use this mobile hotspot functionality when I'm on the road. I have no mobile hotspot performance problem on my T-mobile HTC M8 phone. So, this is a serious show-stopper problem on the Note 8.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for reaching out @useroZd3TuP6vh, have you reached out to T-mobile about this concern. Carriers will often throttle the upload speed of their mobile data connections.

After you talk to them, let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

useroZd3TuP6vh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have T-Mobile ONE plan which includes unlimited data, so they throttled the Mobile Hotspot speed to 512 KBps (to limit the sharing of the unlimited data). So, the bandwidth reduction isn't the fault of the Note 8.

View solution in original post

userNxlbpcvlUW
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is likely because you have T-Mobile One Basic which only allows you to use 3g for the mobile hot spot output.  You can call them and upgrade to T-Mobile One Plus and it will enable you to have a 4g LTE output for your mobile hotspot.  It cost $10 extra a month.