cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aimhan
Asteroid

Note 8 smoking at charger port

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My note 8 started smoking at the charger port last night. I had it plugged in a wired car charger for no more than 10mins and it started smoking and got hot enough for the plastic around the charger to start becoming disfigured. This isn't the first time it has happened. I had an ATT car charger that stopped working and upon inspection I noticed the plastic around it was melted and disfigured. Not sure how I didn't catch it the first time around but I caught it last night full on smoking with the new charger. Has anyone else had this happen? A Google search showed me that I'm not the only one. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem but there are isolated incidents. ATT asked for pictures of the charger to forward to Samsung. They advised that I stop using the phone and not to attempt to charge it again either wired or wireless. They have not yet offered a replacement until they hear back from Samsung. They also asked if I am asking anything else from ATT other than a replacement phone and charger. Seems like they went into risk management mode pretty quickly. I just want this fire hazard replaced. I am a huge fan of Samsung products and I know there will be malfunctions so I'm not looking for a lawsuit or anything. I just want them to do right by the customer and replace it with no hassle. Anyone else experiencing the same? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Note 8 smoking at charger port

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @Aimhan

While I am so sorry to hear about this experience, I'm glad that your carrier is working so diligently to get this fixed. You can always also call Samsung directly in these cases, but considering that your carrier is doing so on your behalf you should be in excellent hands already!  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @Aimhan

While I am so sorry to hear about this experience, I'm glad that your carrier is working so diligently to get this fixed. You can always also call Samsung directly in these cases, but considering that your carrier is doing so on your behalf you should be in excellent hands already!  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Aimhan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

ATT handled this issue very well. They are sending a new phone and charger as a replacement for this phone. It seems to have been an isolated incident. I'm pleased with how it all worked out. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wonderful! I'm glad to hear everything worked out so smoothly with Samsung, your carrier, and yourself.  ^_^

userxcAobTJwn2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not "Isolated"! My Note 8, failed to charge, went dead and stayed dead! Verizon sent me a replacement  phone. A couple weeks later, I am awakened by this phone's "Unplug Charger" alarm, with audible smoke alarm sounds. Smoke was emitting from the charging port, and the phone was too hot to touch. I am going to Verizon, this morning: then, depending on the outcome...the TV station.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userxcAobTJwn2

I'm so glad that you are okay! I hate to think that something bad could have happened. Do you know if Verizon had given you a brand new device or a refurbished Note8? Have you contacted them yet or even reached out to Samsung via phone or over the computer? No matter what help Verizon is willing to give, Samsung will be willing to help you too.  Smiley Happy

userxcAobTJwn2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Verizon is no help! They want me to upgrade a different phone, on our Business Account, to get a new phone. +

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No worries. I'm going to send you a private message so we can get this fixed up on the Samsung side. 

Aimhan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow, I'm surprised that Verizon didn't do more to help. Talking you into an upgrade when this phone is pretty much as upgraded as you can get right now is kind of ridiculous. That's not a solution at all. ATT put their tech team on the situation right away for me. They didn't play around at all. They sent me a refurbished Note 8 (kind of a bummer because I'm definitely paying the price of a brand new one) and a new charger.  I sent them the faulty phone and the charger that got somehat melted. They wanted both so they could see if they could recreate the incident and figure out what caused it. I had Verizon many years ago and can't say I'm a fan. Hopefully Samsung will take care of you where Verizon didn't. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm about to go on weekend, but if you still need assistance I'll be back on Monday and reply to any messages sent. I hope you have a good weekend!

SamsungViv