cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B_Hawk
Asteroid

Note 8 unable to charge with Samsung charger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an unusual problem that I can't wrap my brain around. My Note 8 will charge intermittently with Samsung Travel adapters. I've tried a regular charger from my S4, a fast charger from my S7 Edge, and a new fast charger that came with my Note 8. Most of the time it will not recognize the charger and other times it will start charging after connecting but disconnect after about 15 seconds. I can fast charge wirelessly with no issues. I've disabled fast charging and cleared cache with no change. I've bought numerous cables 2.0, 3.0, and "3.1" with no success.

Now for the interesting part. So far every charger I've used that's not a Samsung charger works, standard/fast charging. I can connect to my PC and charge through USB so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the port. Any ideas? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Note 8 unable to charge with Samsung charger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In that case, definitely reach out to Samsung directly via Phone (1-800-SAMSUNG/1-800-726-7864) to set up a repair. Naturally you can also reach out to your carrier to see if they have a different option you might like more or maybe someone here in the Community has some other ideas!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @B_Hawk

Might I ask where and when you bought your device? Also, has it always had these charging problems or did this appear recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
B_Hawk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought this phone in January from the online Samsung Shop, so I've had it for 4 months. This issue started about a week ago when I noticed it would randomly stop charging with the provided charger while I was at work.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sounds like something is wrong with the device itself, since it will charge wirelessly and has the same problem no matter which wired charger you're using. Just to make sure I didn't miss something though, you've tried different outlets, wires, and plugs(wall or car), it's only the wireless one that's reliable in it's charging, correct?

B_Hawk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've tried different outlets. I can charge with an apple travel adapter and my fast charger in my car. The car charger does allow my phone to enable fast charging. As far as Samsung products go, the wireless charger is the only one that will charge. 

Generic chargers work as well. I have a Belkin adapter that will charge. I do not have a "no name" fast charger to test if fast charging will enable. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well let's try some troubleshooting steps just to be sure. Just let me know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd party apps. Instructions are here

B_Hawk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All apps are up to date, Google play and Samsung Apps. My OS is the latest version. I cleared the cache with no change. Safe mode and powered off completely yield the same result as previously stated. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In that case, definitely reach out to Samsung directly via Phone (1-800-SAMSUNG/1-800-726-7864) to set up a repair. Naturally you can also reach out to your carrier to see if they have a different option you might like more or maybe someone here in the Community has some other ideas!

View solution in original post