cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userbPx652nbJF
Asteroid

Note 8 wireless charging stops working until device restart.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had my note 8 since December 2017 and I just bought the fast charge convertible wireless charging stand for it. Initially my phone didn't charge and it didn't have the fast charge wirelessly option. After updating to the new Android Oreo 8.0, my phone had the option and would charge wirelessly. 

However, after some time passes after taking it off the charger, such as if I took it off the charger for the day and place it back go charge over night, the phone won't accept the charge anymore. The light on the charging pad would turn on, but my phone won't charge. When I restart my note 8 and try charging again, it accepts wireless charging again. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? This is ridiculous that I needed a software update/restart every time to charge wirelessly when wireless charging was advertised.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userJ72cc7xO7W
Constellation

Re: Note 8 wireless charging stops working until device restart.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been having the same issue and this is how I fixed it. 

If you have a wireless charging pad place your phone on it for about 5 mins. Next, take your corded charger (USB C) and plug it into the phone. You should get a gray circle with a power symbol. Let it sit for 5 mins. Now try your power button. DId this work? No, try it again. What you are trying to do is get enough power flowing to the phone so that the phone detects the USB 3 charging and starts the charging process. I have had this now happen twice and this is the only way to fix it after spending 3 hours trying to do other things. The first time I was prepared to ship it back to Verizon but found out I would only get a refurb phone back. I purchased my phone in mid-Dec. so I wanted to keep my phone. Please note that most stores will not know what you are talking about as Samsung has yet to really acknowledge this as a problem. I can tell you if it happens to you and the many posts that I read that this is a problem. I have been a loyal Samsung note user but this may be my last folks. Love the phone and the features but I do IT for a living and must have a working phone I can depend on. If you don't want to do this... Make sure that your phone is charged before you hit 5%. I hope that Samsung leaves this up and that it helps you. Best of luck!

John

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am very sorry for the inconvenience.  What is the baseband version of your phone? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userbPx652nbJF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My baseband version is N950USQU4CRD7.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you!

May I ask who your carrier is?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userJ72cc7xO7W
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been having the same issue and this is how I fixed it. 

If you have a wireless charging pad place your phone on it for about 5 mins. Next, take your corded charger (USB C) and plug it into the phone. You should get a gray circle with a power symbol. Let it sit for 5 mins. Now try your power button. DId this work? No, try it again. What you are trying to do is get enough power flowing to the phone so that the phone detects the USB 3 charging and starts the charging process. I have had this now happen twice and this is the only way to fix it after spending 3 hours trying to do other things. The first time I was prepared to ship it back to Verizon but found out I would only get a refurb phone back. I purchased my phone in mid-Dec. so I wanted to keep my phone. Please note that most stores will not know what you are talking about as Samsung has yet to really acknowledge this as a problem. I can tell you if it happens to you and the many posts that I read that this is a problem. I have been a loyal Samsung note user but this may be my last folks. Love the phone and the features but I do IT for a living and must have a working phone I can depend on. If you don't want to do this... Make sure that your phone is charged before you hit 5%. I hope that Samsung leaves this up and that it helps you. Best of luck!

John

View solution in original post

userJ72cc7xO7W
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, forgot to add that once it starts charging remove it from the wireless charging or pull the plug from the usb 3 cord. You only want once charger going once the phone is up. If you don't have a wireless charger go buy one on Amazon (pretty cheap) or from your local store.

userbPx652nbJF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'll give this a try tonight if it doesn't work again. I had to restart my phone last night to charge wirelessly. 

This is my first Samsung phone. The camera is amazing and I enjoy Samsung pay. But the gorilla glass was pretty disappointing and I have a bunch of scratches over it now. As someone who likes to keep phones for a long time, my OnePlus One didn't have many issues, maybe because it was a simpler phone. This is disappointing to me anyway since the Note 8 is a pretty expensive phone.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

userbPx652nbJF Thanks for confirming, based on your carrier it looks like the phone is fully up-to date as far as the software goes. I would give the steps userJ72cc7xO7W listed a try and report back to us if they are successful or not. 

userbPx652nbJF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This seems to work! My Note 8 charges now after cable charging for a bit. At least I don't have to restart it anymore. 

Is there a more permanent fix to this? If I have to cable charge before charging wirelessly, that completely defeats the point of wireless charging and I just wasted money on a Samsung wireless charging pad... 

I don't want to make this "solved" just yet because of that... Thank you!

userbPx652nbJF
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My carrier is T-Mobile.