Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user95qXEDIAEU
Constellation

Oreo battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can anyone there at Samsung tell me why that while i had N, Pandora would only eat up 15% battery life at work all day.  With Oreo, it's now 10% an hour.  And this was a change right after I got the update.  It's a new Note 8, under 2 months old.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shadownet
Asteroid

Re: Oreo battery life

JUMP TO SOLUTION
15 REPLIES 15

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @user95qXEDIAEU

Thank you for reaching out. Have you checked to verify the app is up to date? If the app is not fully updated or is trying to function off a different operating system than what is installed, that could definitely drain some extra battery.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I understand your frustrations with this @userSovZKDg4uF but it is not as widespread of a problem as people think it is. If you are having problems we will gladly help figure out how to resolve them. I would recommend searching the forums first though as you may find an answer to your problem there.

userSovZKDg4uF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Cache partition wipe worked for me.

Vic20
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried a cache partition wipe? Have you done a factory reset after upgrading to Oreo. I can say that my Note 8 is about the same more or less. I still get around 6-7 hours SOT on one charge (same as in Nougat and I don't have battery saver on either). It's hard to say what the cause of this really is.

A factory reset is usually the best thing to do after a major revision update. A clean install is better and always minimizes the bugs and issues most people tend to experience just installing over an older revision OS. The only downside to Oreo now is the removal of individual notification tones for each contact. Hopefully Samsung will sort that out and bring it back to those who need/ use it.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Vic20 has some great advice for everyone when it comes to battery life. Clearing the cache partition or even a factory data reset can help the system adjust to the new software with fewer incidents. Give those a try and let us know if they are helpful.

userh3lvDrW9kH
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think it is, never had so many issues and major battery drain as with this OS when I accidentally hit the install, instead of later as I did f for several months.  Worst mistake ever!  To go from 100 to 70% in 2hrs of usage, and my phone now gets super hot.  Going to settings to optimize battery life is a waste of time.  Cleaning cache, nothing. Never had such problems with Kit-kat or Nougat.  It's also pretty invasive.  The OS want more control over certain permissions.  Also, what's up with it wanting to hijack my Contacts. I cant even open the contacts app to access my list!  It's forcing me to update. I just access my contacts list directly through phone app, instead of contacts app. I don't want my contacts  (not contact info )sent out to those I call.  There's a big difference in the two words.  WE Should have more control over what info we want put out, and not the OS.  Not a good for S7edge users.  Thinking I am just going to reset my phone and dump some apps.

user3KB0cUkbrZ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not changing

Savagedonbihhh
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user95qXEDIAEUwrote:

Can anyone there at Samsung tell me why that while i had N, Pandora would only eat up 15% battery life at work all day.  With Oreo, it's now 10% an hour.  And this was a change right after I got the update.  It's a new Note 8, under 2 months old.

yes oreo is a battery killer. more apps running. they need to release some updates to fix it asap.

Vic20
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Testing after installing Oreo and using customized battery saver enabled:

Battery Saver Enabled

Disabling battery saver:

Battery Saver Disabled

Battery life is about the same. Not better or worse from my usage. So did any of you do a cache partition wipe? Or factory reset? This is a major OS revision update and common practice on this is always a clean install. Old junk files left behind, incompatible apps, etc. Could cause headaches and issues that are very hard to troubleshoot.