Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dettadeus
Constellation

Samsung Japanese keyboard no longer gives kanji suggestions

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, my Note 8 recently updated and one of the changes was the Samsung keyboard. Specifically, the toolbar above the keyboard.

When using the Japanese keyboard, whether with QWERTY or the 3x4, it used to give you something like predictive text with kanji suggestions when you typed in kana, as well as many other suggestions like half/full width katakana, etc. Since the update, using QWERTY keyboard only shows what you typed (in usual Latin characters) in the predictive text bar, while the 3x4 keyboard shows what you typed still in Japanese.

I've tried deleting Japanese language from my phone and redownloading it and that didn't solve the problem. A friend of mine got the update about a month earlier than me (different carrier) and has been pestering me for a fix for this issue that I wasn't encountering yet.

The handwriting keyboard using the S-Pen still recognizes kanji normally and shows kanji suggestions, but it doesn't seem to show any kanji replacement suggestions when writing in kana.

Would generally prefer to keep using the Samsung keyboard rather than switch to Gboard or Simeji just for simple Japanese input that was working fine before the update.

Thanks for any help!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userY3Z0fFmxjf
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Japanese keyboard no longer gives kanji suggestions

JUMP TO SOLUTION

HI,

I got the same problem and its hugly annoying but today i accedently found the solution,

got to 

setting > language & input > screen keyboard > samsung keyboard > language & type > and download the jpn language 

9 REPLIES 9
userY3Z0fFmxjf
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

HI,

I got the same problem and its hugly annoying but today i accedently found the solution,

got to 

setting > language & input > screen keyboard > samsung keyboard > language & type > and download the jpn language 

user4j7xCjlObl
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This didn't work for me. It doesn't have an option to redownload.

Is there any other way to fix this problem?

userzKbmiZkXhS
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi

I have a S9. I updated it today and the predictive kanji disappeared too. All you need to do is delete entirely the previously downloaded japanese language from your phone. There is a way. Find out how. After deleting it, REDOWNLOAD it. The predictive text will return.  goodluck.   

userHRAdtwanCR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It works for me. Clearing the data and catches wasn't enough. Delete the entire language setting, re-install and re-select all the language you want. The phone will guide you along to set up language or languages like the first day you bought the phone. Thank you.

usernB5Li6Ld1v
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Found the silution! Been doing some experiments. All we have to do is to clear cache or data. It will refresh the keyboard's settings.

setting > language & input > screen keyboard > samsung keyboard > about samsung keyboard> app info ( box in the middle screen)> storage >clear data.

userOrTSk5KzhE
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Worked for me thanks
userTFzXF146Q2
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is great solution. It solved kanji suggestion problem. Thank you so much.

user7DBYxzQy6o
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank for your kind effort and solution. It was saved my phone.

userLppHyQ0YtQ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much. It worked for me too. ありがとうございました。