cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Software Update Issue

So i bought a  GALAXY Note8 SM-N950U back January 2019. The phone was running android version 8.0.0 at that time.  After a couple of months The new update of One UI and adnroid version 9 launched. My device didn't get the update initially as i thought since my phone is a U model it would get an update late.  After a couple of months i tried downloading the software manually through the phone settings but a prompt came "Registering Device" followed with a "processing failed" and after that my phone hasn't recieved any update. It has been an year now and every time i check the software update, same thing pops up.  Kindly help me out in this regard.

Expecting some positive replies.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Software Update Issue

The S9 version and update will be receiving the android 10 update.

Highlighted
Constellation

i haven't recieved even Android 9 on my phone. that's the issue

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hello UserLRhbyyFtz2,

If you have already tried to update via the Software Update option within the device and through a pc its possible your device will not receive the update. If you are adamant about getting the update you have the option to go into your nearest Samsung Care store or U Break I Fix location so that we may manually update your device to the software available. 

For Samsung Care Authorized locations near you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

I hope this provided an answer to your question if so please mark as resolved or follow up with additional questions. Thank you for using Samsung Community. 

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hello LRhbyyFtz2,

based on the model that you indicated on your post you can upgrade up to Android 10

but it also depends on your carrier if they pushed the update you can try this method to update your device.

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/mobile-devices/how-to-check-for-software-update-in-samsung-galaxy...

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi @userLRhbyyFtz2 

Since you are having problems with updating Using the OTA method you can try this

smart switch method but you will need a PC or Mac for your update

to check for updates for your device you can follow these instructions 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077582/

I would suggest using the smart switch method too if the update is not available over the air OTA

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch

Software update via Smart Switch

Not only is Smart Switch great for transferring data, but it’s also an easy way to update your phone’s software. When you open Smart Switch on your Mac or Windows PC, you’ll see an option to update to a new software version if one is available.

First, make sure your phone is charged to at least 20% before proceeding. Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable provided with your phone, and then open Smart Switch on your computer. If a software update is available, Smart Switch might automatically prompt you to update the software or will display an option to Update. Click Update and follow the on-screen prompts to download the necessary files and complete the update process. Keep in mind your phone might turn on and off during the update process.

Note: Don't disconnect the USB cable or use your phone until the update is complete.

hopefully, this will help with your problem

Be sure to click " ✔ Accept as Solution" When you find an answer that works for you

Highlighted

I have the exact same model Note 8 SM-950U

and iam facing the same problem

Highlighted

@Joellem Iam from Pakistan and I also have this problem so I tried the smart switch method for my Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950U (Verizon) but it said my phone was up to date although iam stuck with android 8.0.0, the last security patch I receive was on June 2018 according to the software information... so can I do something other then OTA update .....if yes please help me.....

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thanks for your inquiry. Once available, updates are released to Carriers and thereafter, it is at the Carriers discretion to release the update to customers. Since updates are released by Carriers in waves, we’re unable to determine when your device will receive an update. We appreciate your loyalty.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.