cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EKSM
Astronaut

Software update to 9.0 on Note 8?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought a note 8 (att) from Frys and I know that the One UI update came out about a month ago and I was trying to update it but it shows that the software is up to date even though I am connected to the internet. Is there something wrong about the phone or am I missing something? I am on 7.1.1 without any security patches or updates. Tried clearing cache and factory resettibg.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ozaustin
Cosmic Ray

Re: Software update to 9.0 on Note 8?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In other words you have to have a sim card to get over the air updates you don't have to have a plan or service my note 8 got the update a couple months ago

5 REPLIES 5
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@EKSM wrote:

I bought a note 8 (att) from Frys and I know that the One UI update came out about a month ago and I was trying to update it but it shows that the software is up to date even though I am connected to the internet. Is there something wrong about the phone or am I missing something? I am on 7.1.1 without any security patches or updates. Tried clearing cache and factory resettibg.

Your image shows no sim card... Are you currently ATT subscriber and located in US?  If yes, call AT&T and see if your IMEI of your device is in their system and provisioned properly.

Below is the latest your phone should have:

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1230781?make=Samsung&mode...

Ozaustin
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In other words you have to have a sim card to get over the air updates you don't have to have a plan or service my note 8 got the update a couple months ago

amanda95
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Ozaustin wrote:

In other words you have to have a sim card to get over the air updates you don't have to have a plan or service my note 8 got the update a couple months ago,

I s this documented somewhere?

I have seen devices update without SIM cards, OTA through Wifi.  Those devices were originally carrier phones, though unlocked before leaving the plan.

Highlighted
EKSM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I will try to activate my service on att later as I didn't have time to do it.

amanda95
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@EKSM wrote:

I will try to activate my service on att later as I didn't have time to do it.

Are you connecting to the same Wifi?

Have you tried using  a VPN and starting Settings- SOFTWARE UPDATES?