cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Some settings reset frequently, on their own

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Some settings reset frequently, on their own, possibly daily.

Specifically I've noticed that these settings automatically get changed very frequently:

Always On Display switches itself off.

Smart Capture switches itself off.

S Pen Air View switches itself off.

S Pen Direct Pen input switches itself off.

Maybe an error in this case, but at least once have seen these settings change:

Navigation bar set to visible. (this could be accidental if show/hide button is enabled)

Navigation bar show/hide button switched itself to disabled. (don't see how this could be accidental)

Having to re-ensbble these settings every day or so is rather annoying.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Some settings reset frequently, on their own

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had the same issues, for months! I'm considering factory-resetting the phone, but I'm so not looking forward to that whole process, especially if it ends up not fixing it... Unless you got some good news, that's what's probably going to happen, though!

Worst case scenario, some app or setting is creating a conflict, causing the other settings to be turned off (I've seen plenty of dialogs, where the phone would say something like "if you enable this setting, THIS UNFORTUNATELY LARGE  LIST OF OTHER SETTINGS will be disabled", so I know it can do it).

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, give these troubleshooting steps a try. Let us know if they resolve the issue.

Go to Settings>>Apps>>Three vertical dots>>Show system apps>>Three apps will say phone//clear the cache and data of all three>> Clear cache and data of the device maintenance app. Then restart the phone.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you!  I've cleared the data + cache for those 4 apps, will restart the phone and see if that resolved it.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us posted.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So far so good.

I found another set of settings that were disabled (Edge Screen and all related options, which I had all enabled), but I hadn't reenabled those settings recently (or checked them).

I will come back if I have further trouble; and if the issue still seems resolved in a couple days, I will mark this solved.

Thank you so much for your responsiveness and offering an interesting and promising solution to try.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are welcome. Thanks for posting.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Mae and Larry,

Bad news.

I just checked the settings and the settings I first listed (AOD, Smart Capture, and the S Pen settings) are all disabled again.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, give this a try. This can show which apps are causing battery issues, viruses, malware or app crashes.

Device maintenance > App issue report

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks;

It shows one issue there.  The AAA app crashed once on August 7th.  (AAA was not used in the foreground, and it may just be a case of a background app crashing during update, which I've noticed is not unusual in general).

Since I deleted the Device Maintenance data when suggested before, the record only goes back that far--however, we know my settings were reset since then.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In fact, those 3 sets of settings were disabled again today.  I just checked and re-enabled them again.