cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Supernova

Re: Some settings reset frequently, on their own

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ˆ_ˆ: Does this occur if the device is booted into Safe Mode?

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can try that, but I will have to have limited functionality for a couple days, maybe more to be confident, to see if it happens during that time...

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ˆ_ˆ: I would recommend placing the device into Safe Mode to see if the setting automatically disable. 

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks @SamsungMichelle,

OK, I will check if the Device is sufficiently usable for my critical needs that way, or if I can use an alternate device to meet those needs.  If no third-party apps can run in safe mode, it might not be practical for me.

... I wonder if tech support has a better chance of getting to the bottom of this (through remote diagnosis or otherwise)? ...

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@ˆ_ˆ: Remote access may allow our tech support agents to take a better look at what is going on. If you would like you can reach them by calling 1-800-726-7864.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, @SamsungMichelle, I will try that approach first!

I will come back here when I have an update.

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sounds good.

Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just an update.  I have had some things come up that have kept me too occupied to work on this further, and I was pleasantly surprised that these settings did not reset for awhile.  I thought the issue was mysteriously resolved.

However, in the past 48 hours, the settings did reset again.

I'm still not able to work on a fix with support or otherwise right now due to current events, but I will surely update when I do get this resolved (or if I am unable to).

Thanks again, each of you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had the same issues, for months! I'm considering factory-resetting the phone, but I'm so not looking forward to that whole process, especially if it ends up not fixing it... Unless you got some good news, that's what's probably going to happen, though!

Worst case scenario, some app or setting is creating a conflict, causing the other settings to be turned off (I've seen plenty of dialogs, where the phone would say something like "if you enable this setting, THIS UNFORTUNATELY LARGE  LIST OF OTHER SETTINGS will be disabled", so I know it can do it).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@foodcoma wrote:

Worst case scenario, some app or setting is creating a conflict, causing the other settings to be turned off (I've seen plenty of dialogs, where the phone would say something like "if you enable this setting, THIS UNFORTUNATELY LARGE  LIST OF OTHER SETTINGS will be disabled", so I know it can do it).

Thank you @foodcoma!

I think you've likely found the culprit in my case.  I have avoided using any setting with those warnings... when I'm given a warning.  There are are two groups of settings like this that I've noticed... that are related to accessibility settings that interfere with other options working.

It's possible to enable accessibility settings without going through the settings menus, and I think that's how I got into trouble.

Any accessibility accessibility options you add to the "Direct Access" menu can be enabled on-the-fly by pressing power-volume up.  I use this to enable the Magnifier Window.  When I do this this way, no warning is provided, but it does reset all the settings I mentioned!

If I enable Magnifier Window via Settings instead, there is a warning first that if I proceed, it will disable the features I mentioned (and then some).

I think I will try to make do with the Magnification tool of the S Pen for now... which is a good tool, but not quite as useful as Magnifier Window (and I might lose my pen doing this a lot on the go).

In any case, I am pretty sure that was the problem.

Thank you.  Good luck in your case.  Maybe it is a similar issue for you, too.

^_^