cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

U.S. Note 8 using AT&T - still stuck on Android 8.0

Got a Note 8 a few months ago, refurbished. I've been constantly trying to run updates, but every time I check for updates in settings, it just says "current software up to date", and I know this isn't true because I constantly see posts and articles about Note 8s that are running 9.0. what gives? I'm in the US, I'm on AT&T, so...yeah. why? Also, yes, I already attempted to use SmartSwitch on my computer to check for updates, says the same thing.

15 REPLIES 15
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: U.S. Note 8 using AT&T - still stuck on Android 8.0

@userrFF9bsJUOJ Have you tried placing your phone in safe mode and trying then?

userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

Just tried it, same thing happened. It's like it doesn't...

Just tried it, same thing happened. It's like it doesn't even try to check. I hit software update on settings, click check for updates, and without even taking any time it immediately jumps to the same message saying current software is up to date. It's like it's not even trying to check with the carrier.

userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

@SamsungQue - sorry, thought it would auto tag you. Anywa...

@SamsungQue - sorry, thought it would auto tag you. Anyways, yes, I just tried to do it in safe mode, still saying the same thing. When I go to settings > software update, then select check for updates, it just immediately goes to 'current software is up to date'. It does this so fast, it's like it's not even trying to actually check anything. Also I already tried wiping the cache partition. Still nothing.

Comet

Is the device and Unlocked version or a Carrier device, i...

Is the device and Unlocked version or a Carrier device, if it is a Carrier Device which one is it. And making sure So you have At&t service.

NBI

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

@NBI I purchased the carrier unlocked version (aka the on...

@NBI

I purchased the carrier unlocked version (aka the one that works with other SIM cards but still forces the installation of carrier apps, which is rubbish). I have an AT&T sim card installed.

Comet

Ok it is unlocked but originally what carrier device is i...

Ok it is unlocked but originally what carrier device is it, because to get OTA update for most Carrier Devices you need to have same Carrier Sim in the device.

NBI

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

@NBI Not quite sure to be honest. I ordered it from Amaz...

@NBI

Not quite sure to be honest. I ordered it from Amazon from a certified refurbisher. When I originally got the phone, it was set up for AT&T (I assume so because the AT&T splash screen came up on first boot).

Comet

Have you registered the device on Samsung Member app if y...

Have you registered the device on Samsung Member app if you did then in devices it shows your device and the Carrier it is related to. Can you see what the Baseband Version is under Software information.

NBI

userrFF9bsJUOJ
Astronaut

@NBI Baseband is: N950USQU5CRIA That's what I got from S...

@NBI

Baseband is: N950USQU5CRIA

That's what I got from Settings.

Attached is the stuff from my registered phone on Samsung members.