cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

Unlocked Galaxy Note MMS during call.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unlocked Galaxy Note 8 will  not download MMS while on a call using Verizon network. Able to talk and surf. Verizon Galaxy Note 8 is able to download MMS while on a call. Is the unlocked version limited in some way?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

Re: Unlocked Galaxy Note MMS during call.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, despite the fact that the 1 is dropped from the Unlocked Galaxy Note 8 model number on the website, the several devices I ordered and inspected all have the 1 following the model number. I walked out with a Verizon Galaxy Note 8 and after switching on the Advanced Calling option the device is able to talk, surf, send and receive MMS during a call. Verizon says this option is

missing from the unlocked version and this prohibits unlocked devices from fully accessing

Verizon functions.

24 REPLIES 24

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Confirm 2 things for me:

Open your txt message app>tap three dots on upper right>tap settings>tap more settings>tap multi media messages>ensure Auto Retrieve is enabled. 

Next make sure VoLTE is enabled:

Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks>Make sure VoLTE Calls is enabled (even though says calls, VoLTE is a technology that encompasses several enhanced features).

If still no go, please let me know your current baseband number:

Settings>About Phone

Looks like this N950U1xxxxx

SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes. Auto retrieve is enabled. However, VoLTE is not an option on my device. SmartSelectImage_2017-09-27-16-48-38.jpg

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you switch that "Global" to LTE/CDMA and reboot, please.

SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I)  Also, please look at:

Settings>Apps>Tap the three dots on upper right>Special Access>Use Premium Text Message Services

Does anything show there?

II) To narrow down what settings are visible to you and make sure you are on latest firmware, can you tell me what the following shows for you:

Settings>About Phone>What is Baseband Version (and build number while we are at it).

III)  Here is the latest firmware information for your Unlocked Device (if you purchased your device straight form Samsung and not through a carrier):

• Model: SM-N950U1
  • Model name: XAA
  • Country : Bluegrass Cellular  (LRA)Nextech / C-Spire  (ACG)Spint (cdma)  (SPR)Tracfone  (TFN)USA  (TMK)USA  (USC)USA (AT&T)  (ATT)USA (T-Mobile)  (TMB)USA (Verizon)  (VZW)Unknown  (AIO)Unknown  (BST)Unknown  (CCT)Unknown  (XAA)Unknown  (XAS)Virgin Mobile USA  (VMU)                                               
  • Version Android 7.1.1
  • Changelist: 12173972
  • Build date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 05:56:18 +0000
  • Security Patch Level: 2017-08-01
  • Product code: XAA
  • PDA: N950U1UEU1AQI5
  • CSC:  N950U1OYM1AQI5

IV)  If the above bold is not seen in your About Screen, check for an update manually on your phone while connected to Wifi:

• Settings>Software Update>Manual Software Update
  • If that attempt does not update your phone, please connect your phone to your home PC with Smart Switch running.  I have had instances where updates were availble, but only Smart Switch via my PC would push the update to my phone.

V)  Smart Switch Install on home PC/MAC:

• Download/install SmartSwitch on your home PC or MAC: For Windows  or For Mac.  Double check Smart Switch is installed on your Note8 as well.
  • After Smart Switch is up and running on your computer, connect your Note8 to your computer and "allow connection" on your Note8 screen pop-up message that appears. 
  • Smart Switch will tell you within a few seconds if there is an update available for your Note8 once connected and synced with your phone.  If there is, go ahead and do the update by following the instructions on your computer.
SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Nothing shows up under premium text message services. 

Baseband version
N950U1UEU1AQI5

Build number
NMF26X.N950U1UEU1AQI5

Device was preordered from Best Buy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Interesting. What is your model number according to the box the device came in? Can you confirm the specific installed SIM (is it a Verizon branded SIM, Xfinity or Sprint etc etc). This seems to be a CSC issue given your responses. Please provide model number and what carrier's SIM is in your phone. We can fix it up from there.
SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Model : SMN950U1ZKAX Verizon branded nano SIM
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, just what I needed.

Go back to mobile connections and change from "Global" to "CDMA".

• Settings>Connections>Mobile Network

If it will not connect while on CDMA then that's a problem, Verizon's network is CDMA.

The model number you have provided comes back as GSM Unlocked (AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket etc).

Best Buy has the unlocked model number compatible with Verizon as follows:

Screenshot_20170929-071441.jpg

SM-N950UZKAC
Xfinity Mobile (CCT)
userCSmbWz3DIi
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you! I switched from Global to CDMA with no change. I will revisit Best Buy and switch devices next.