cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Upgrade to Android 10 for Note 8

I've had Samsung Epic 4G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S7 Edge and Galaxy Note 8. Every 2 years I would upgrade my phone, but since Note 8 was released, I haven't upgraded my phone because it's still good. I just didn't see the point in buying a new phone every 2 years. Now it's been 3 years and soon it may be time for me to upgrade my phone but after hearing the release of Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, I was eager to buy it until I found out the cost of the phone. I realized it just wasn't worth buying at this time and decided to stick with Note 8 until there is a good sale for Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. The only issue I have with Note 8 is that Samsung stopped supporting Android OS upgrades. Right now I am stuck with Android 9 and some apps like Gmail has dark mode and it's not supported on Android 9. There are other features I wanted to use on Note 8 which is built-in screen recording but it's only available for Android 10. The One UI 2 is only available for Android 10. Every new and amazing feature is available for Android 10. I feel like Samsung has abandon Galaxy Note 8 users. Please upgrade Note 8's Android OS from Android 9 to Android 10. 
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Galaxy

Re: Upgrade to Android 10 for Note 8

You know, instead of buying a BRAND NEW Note 20 Ultra 5G for software and hardware upgrades, you are much better off buying a Note 10 variant for under $500 and getting the same experience but still a major upgrade to what you have now.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Upgrade to Android 10 for Note 8

@Giant2020 as much as I would like to do that, this year or next year will be the last year that Samsung will upgrade the Android OS. What's the point of buying a model that is 1 or 2 years old and will not receive any feature updates except security updates? Also Note 10 is barely the same experience as Note 20 because Note 10 doesn't have a camera that allows you to Zoom 50 - 100x times. Thanks for your opinion, it's appreciated but I rather get the latest smartphone that interests me. I managed to hold my phone for 3 years because it was still good but some features or software are not available for my phone so a newer and better hardware is required. If it was a modular phone where I can replace camera, RAM, storage and etc, while still using the same model but Google dropped that project for some reason.
Highlighted
Astronaut

I regret trading in my Note 8 for the Note 20 Ultra. I loved my 8. I do not love the 20 ultra. Don't get suckered into it!
Highlighted
Constellation

Sorry looks as if I must trade in my note 8. The GPS keeps freezing up on me. just that on the phone. My S3 Active watch battery is going out after 2 years. Bought my brother a Galaxy S10 after 3 years network card goes bad can't connect to the network. all these were factory wiped and reinstalled, Still the problems persist. It funny how it seems all this seems to start after an update. I tired of fighting it instead of a new Galaxy anything, I may be switching to Apple. All my old apple Ipods and iPads stuff just got old after 5 years but never went bad.
Highlighted
Asteroid

@userfrO0IRIIf7 I agree with you. Same here. makes no sense to me at all.
Highlighted

It is unfortunate but they stop sending updates to force users to buy newer devices which are fully supported and updated often.  

I've had my Note 8 since 2017 and I am still able to use it for everything I need and enjoy it. It's a trade off when we decide to keep a device longer than 2 years that we lose out on latest features for Samsung and Android. This will happen to all flagship devices. 

Not much choice but to live with it, try custom roms or purchase a newer device that will have the features and software support for the timeframe you plan to keep the device. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

@Simplepink I agree with you. I used to root my previous phones but since I had Galaxy Note 8, I stopped doing it because I no longer needed to but I have been considering it. The reason why I didn't use custom roms was because I am afraid of bugs or security issues since hackers are now on the rise. Oh well, let's see what happens. I will purchase a new phone eventually.
Highlighted

@Kurosaki I use to root my devices as well to access mobile hotspot and custom features but I no longer needed to for a while now. 

It is risky for security with custom roms but we're pretty much at end of software life on the Note 8.

I will have to eventually buy a new device if I want access to new software and features as well. Have to weigh out the needs, wants, and financial. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am in the same boat. Last year I started to trade in for the Note 10 but quickly switched back and returned it. Now with 5G coming out (not that my area will have it anytime soon) I want to buy an upgrade, but am actually looking outsie the Samsung line. I like my note but I don't use the pen very often and that just makes it the same as an S series. Most manufactures are announcing that thaey will upgrade software for 3 years only. So if you get a phone now with Android 11 on it you should be good to 13-14 I would think.