cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user1ncWFunSGX
Constellation

"Couldn't sync notes" (and I do not WANT it to sync notes!)

On my Note 8, whenever I launch "notes", or save a note, etc., a pop up message appears at the top, saying "Couldn't sync notes"  "To sync your notes with Samsung Cloud, tap Settings, then allow the following permissions:  Contacts, Phone"

But  NEVER want my notes to be synced with any cloud or other device.  I just want this pop-up message to stop appearing, taking up the top half of the display.

I've dismissed it hundreds or thousands of times, and tried long-pressing it as recommended elsewhere, and it will not go away or stop appearing.

Do I need to delete my Samsung account for this to stop appearing? I've read that this is the only way, unless I relent and allow my notes to sync, presumably with some cloud storage.

Alternatively, is there a better "notes" app, that doesn't require me to submit to some cloud service that I do not want?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: "Couldn't sync notes" (and I do not WANT it to sync notes!)

Have you turned off the sync settings on the Samsung account?

user1ncWFunSGX
Constellation

I only have two "switches" on the page for "Backup and restore" under Accounts and backup.  Both "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" are switched off.

There are no switches on the "Samsung Cloud" page.  It just shows that there are no synced images or videos in Gallery, 0B used for Keyboard data under "other synced data", no files under Samsung Cloud Drive, and the only "Backup this phone" entry was made the day I purchased the phone almost two years ago as far as I can see.  That may have occurred when we used "Smart Switch" to transfer the data from my old phone to this one.

Under "General Management", there is a "Looking for something else" link for "Accounts".   Touching that, I get to a screen showing my email accounts, etc., and there is a switch called "Auto sync data", which was on, but I switched that off just now.  Perhaps that will help?

Is there somewhere else I can find to turn off sync settings for the Samsung account?  I'm mainly trying to stop Notes from complaining.  Smiley Happy

I'd really like to just be able to tell the "Notes" app to not sync, and not ask me to sync.

user1ncWFunSGX
Constellation

Well, that seemed to work for a while to keep the pop-ups from happening in Notes.  But with that switch turned off, my email wouldn't automatically update, and I got a warning about that in the email app.  So I "fixed that" in that warning in the email app, and now the pop up telling me that Notes cannot sync is back.  It may be that there is no way to disable this short of cancelling my Samsung account.  I've seen that as the "fix" on another forum.

This is a somewhat new development.  I went for almost two years with this phone before this started happening.  So it must be from an update that's occured along the way.  It's not the end of the world, certainly, just a minor annoyance.

user1NIM5f8ByO
Astronaut

When will developers learn that not everyone wants to take advantage of sync capability and other "cool features" thgat they build into apps without warning, and without means to disable.  I am all for taking advantage of new technology, but give me the choice please.