Original topic:

A71 Missed Notifications Not Appearing After Turning Phone On

(Topic created: 08-11-2022 04:12 PM)
useru8fYPTbfPb
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

If my phone is off for a period of time, when I turn it on missed notifications don't appear right away.  However, after I switch networks (like going from cellular to wifi) all the notifications immediately come in.

This behavior started around the June software update.  Previously, when I turned on my phone missed notifications would show up as expected.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but during the workday I can't have my personal phone so I turn it off and leave it in a locker.  When I turn my phone on after work I don't get most notifications until I get home and my phone goes on wifi.   As soon as it connects they all come rushing in!   Similarly, if I'm at home on wifi and my phone is off, when I turn it on I don't get the missed notifications until I leave my house and cellular data picks up.

Google and Samsung Apps are up to date.

I've tried resetting network settings, but that did not help either.

Anyone else notice this or have ideas on how to escalate this to a bug report.  It seems that the phone only triggers missed notifications when there is a change in network.

3 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello, We understand how frustrating delayed notifications can be. There are some steps you can try to correct this behavior. 

1. Check your battery-saving settings. You can adjust power settings on your Android to disable apps or app features when the battery drops below a certain level. Battery Saver Mode is a common culprit for notification issues. Also, make sure you don't have a battery saver app running, which may be blocking app notifications when your battery is low.

2. Confirm you haven't restricted your app from running in the background. If you're not getting notifications from a specific app, the app might not be allowed to run in the background. Almost any app with a notifications feature has to run in the background for notifications to work.

3. Clear your Android cache partition. While clearing app data cache may fix app notification issues, your Android itself has a cache area. Data stored there can also get corrupted and may lead to problems for all apps. Clearing the cache partition will fix these issues.

1. Power off your phone.

2. Press and hold the Power button and Volume Up button at the same time until you see the Samsung logo.

3. You should now boot to Android Recovery and find the “Wipe cache partition” option. Use the Volume buttons to move the highlight to “Wipe cache partition”, and Power button to select.

4. When prompted for a confirmation, select “Yes”.

5. Once done, select “Reboot system now”.

4. Check your Mobile Data Usage settings. Newer versions of the Android OS include the ability to disable app access to mobile data when you're approaching a specific data limit each month. Double-check these settings to ensure you didn't enable it accidentally or forgot to disable it. Not only will this feature disable notifications, but it'll stop most apps from working at all.

Please let us know if this helps.

0 Likes
useru8fYPTbfPb
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I tried all suggestions but notifications still are not delivered when my phone is turned on, until once I change network (wifi to cellular or cellular to wifi)

Notes:

1 - I don't have battery restricted.  I've checked on the "use details" screen and the apps I'm not receiving notifications from are "unrestricted."

2 - I've not restricted apps from running in the background.  I've checked and they are set to "allow background data usage"

3 - wiped cache and restarted, issue still persisted

4 - Data saver is off, no apps are are set for mobile data only

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
useru8fYPTbfPb
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I've continued to try to troubleshoot.  I did a factory reset but the behavior persists.  

Seems like an issue that needs reported to Samsung - how do I submit this for engineering evaluation?

One other piece of information that might trigger an app developer to pinpoint the issue - only certain notifications are not not shown.  Message based notifications (like from Google Chat or Text Messages) come through immediately when I turn on my phone.  Notifications such as Google Photos sending me a memory, or a restaurant app sending me a deal are the notifications that don't show up until I change networks (cell to wifi or wifi to cell).   There must be a different service that processes these different types of notifications.

0 Likes