cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

A8 settings crash since update

Since latest update settings won't open at all, just "settings keeps stopping" error message. I have tried the suggestions I have seen on another post (soft restart; remove night mode button from main drop down menu), but all other suggestions I have seen online require accessing settings (not helpful!), e.g. clear cache, force stop. 

I am loathe to do a factory reset, but if I need to I can't back up my mob as usual as that requires accessing settings!

(Going to try and backup at least pictures via USB, can I access anything useful via USB to help with this issue?)

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: A8 settings crash since update

Hello! 

Have you tired wiping the cache partition yet? You can do so by following these steps:

1. Power off the device
  2. Press and hold volume up button, Home button and power button
  3. When the screen with No commands message shows up tap on the screen
  4. Use volume keys to highlight wipe cache partition and use the power button to select it
  5. Confirm by selecting yes option
  6. Reboot now should be highlighted after clearing the cache partition. Select reboot now with the power key
  7. That’s it! This way you are clear the cache data and speeding your device.

After doing this open your settings and see if the symptom still persists.

Let me know if this helped!

Highlighted
Constellation

Thank you for helping me get to that screen (most instructions state a need to press the home button, which my A8 does not have).

Sadly the problem persists. =(

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for following up. Do you experience these symptoms if you test your device in safe mode? If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identify and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try for step to put your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.