Original topic:

Bixby voice opens up inappropriately while using maps and listening to podcasts

(Topic created: 08-29-2017 03:41 AM)
CoquiLime
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi Folks,

I ran into an annoying issue with Bixby yesterday.  I often drive for many hours for work.  To pass the time,  I listen to podcasts using Podcast Republic but broadcast through the car via Bluetooth. At the same time,  I'm using Google Maps for traffic, directions, ETA, etc. Yesterday was my first time doing this after the Bixby Voice install.

During random parts of various podcasts, Bixby would launch as if summoned. (Nothing remotely sounding like "Hi Bixby" was said.) This would cause the screen rotation to go back to portrait mode,  obscure the map,  and shut off the podcast. Then I could only sometimes get it to cancel, as I could only fuss so much while driving. And of course once it did,  I had to restart the podcast. This happened 4 times on a 3 hour drive. 

Anyone else seeing Bixby fire up inappropriately? And very often?

21 Replies
SamsungKimberly
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello @CoquiLime , try clearing your data and cache in Bixby home and Bixby voice. After your you do so, power your phone off and on . Example: Go into settings, apps(all apps) , bixby voice and bixby home, storage then clear data and cache. Let me know if it works properly for you.

CoquiLime
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thanks- that did appear to work. It hasn't launched inappropriately since. 

areynoldsnz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Bixby opens maybe one time in 10 when I say "Hi Bixby", but when watching TV, it starts listening all the time when anyone says anything that rhymes with Bixby.

Simple solution is to turn it off. Works really well!

0 Likes
CoquiLime
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thanks, CosmicRay. Apparently "you got jokes".

0 Likes
iteese
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I still have this issue...

I've deleted the cache and the data for Bixby Voice and set it up again.

I've set the wakeup sensitivity to low.

I've re-recorded my voice.

Initally Samsung Chat Support told me I should just turn off Bixby Voice. After explaining how dumb that is, 

On the request of Samsung Chat Support, I even Reset my Settings which was a mistake (lost all my bluetooth pairings, even though they didn't explain that, and I explicitly asked).

Solution
user7RgkSSXuub
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I solved this at last!

This problem was bugging me for many weeks. I was close to switching off Bixby even though I liked it a lot. It popped up every now and then during multimedia playback. I even cleared data and cache for bixby and started fresh but it didn't go away.

Just when I was about to give up, I found out that I realised I had switched on the "use when phone speaker is playing" option. That was the culprit. It let bixby listen in wven when a video or audio was playing. It stopped as soon as I switched it off. You can find it in the "voice wake up" section of bixby settings.

Life saved at last! Thank me later!

userjEg9U2huEM
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi User 7RgkSSXuub,

• Just a short note to say your suggested fix worked for me on my new Samsung QN65Q60R  QLED Smart tv which was doing exactly the same thing, randomly popping up Bixby voice for zero reason and interrupting my movie and television viewing somewhat regularly.  It was very annoying and disconcerting.  I followed your directions and went into the "Voice wake up" section of settings in Bixby on the tv, shut OFF the setting that permitted the tv to listen and self activate.  Voilà!  Has not happened since and, yet, I can still use the Voice activation.  It simply no longer "listens" and interrupts to respond when not called upon.  So Thanks a Million once again, User7RgkSsXuub!
userCofeQNoAgS
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thanks for solution so.. where doew one go to switch that off 

0 Likes
user3O6SvAUj58
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

This works but turns off Bixby completely 

0 Likes