Original topic:

Can Mobile Provider Turn On Data?

(Topic created: 09-11-2022 04:57 PM)
Members_Rxt50H8
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have this A71 5G that for personal reasons, through my MVNO I buy small amounts of data.  The 11 to 12 Update, I think was June or July and my 1GB of data was gone with a small amount uploaded via WIFI.  I don't believe I accidently left the data on.  I suspect remotely, that update occurred against my will.  Not sure.  The MVNO just wanted to sell me more data.

Then 16 Aug 2022, while using my data as a hot spot to get me through some sketchy WIFI connections, I got a security patch that gobbled up my 1GB of data with reliance on 2G or WIFI to finish off the patch.

I looked all over my A71 5G where I can select update on WIFI only, as I can on my Note 9 operating on Android 10.  It, btw only updated the 29 Aug 2022 patch exclusively via WIFI.

1.  Can the data be turned on besides my intent to conserve it?

2.  If there is means of blocking software updates via DATA?

I miss my AMPS and PCS!

Joe

0 Likes
3 Replies
bkmelas
Comet
Options
Other Mobile Devices
It would be a pain but keep always your phone on air plane mode and enable just wifi that will ensure that your communication is always on wifi when you don't have a wifi you have to disable your airplane mode. Also, go application by application and change the settings to not to allow background data access.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Other Mobile Devices

@Members_Rxt50H8 OS updates typically happen only via Wifi so that wouldn't be the cause of your cellular data usage. 

0 Likes
Members_Rxt50H8
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Maybe I should have posed this as a client server issue about client side script.  I believe there are backdoors, I've seen clock skewing corrections with airplane mode invoked.  That may be a question that will never be answered.  But with Android 12, is there a toggle buried somewhere that specifically says "software updates on WIFI only."

0 Likes