Original topic:

Can't change sorting if contact list when in Messages app

(Topic created: 07-20-2021 12:22 PM)
NachtEquus
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Galaxy A71 5G, currently running Android 11.  When in the Messages app, flipping over into its Contacts "pane", I have not found a way to alphabetically sort descending order.  It's inordinately hard to find a particular contact to send a message to.  The search function searches received Messages and not the contact list.

It should not be this hard to do in the Messages app...it's just a slightly different flow to organize/search the same contacts list as when using the Contacts app to make a call or send a text.

Am I overlooking something obvious? Other than starting in the Contacts app instead of the Messages app?
0 Likes
3 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I just check. This is a very bad design. The search doesn't search contact!
0 Likes
juniorluvcait
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I just checked mine and all my contacts are in alphabetical order in my messages app under contacts.
0 Likes
NachtEquus
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
You are right, mine does now list it in alphabetical order, by first name. Which is not how it sorts in the Contacts app, which I've configured to sort alphabetically by last name.

Sorting by the contact's first name or last name does not seem configurable in the Messages app. Also does not seem to be able to search for messages from a contact...but can search within text messages for keywords.