Original topic:

Cannot backup/restore sent SMS messages

(Topic created: 10-10-2021 12:07 PM)
userrq2epOP0Go
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello. I have a Galaxy A10E with Cricket.  I am trying to backup and restore all my SMS messages. However, when I restore, I do not have my sent messages for the last few months, only the received ones.  

Also, I use the Samsung built in SMS app.  I see all my sent and received messages. But when I try another SMS app, such as Google or Textra, then I also don't see my recent sent items.

Please help me make my sent messages visible to another app so that I can backup and restore them.  

0 Likes
3 Replies
MrJell_Lee
Supernova
Options
Other Mobile Devices

currently trying on my spare device to see if it's happening to me too, or whether it's more specific to your device.

In the meantime I suggest you submit error report to Samsung Members app after reproducing the issue (restoring the messages).

Are you using Google, OneDrive or Samsung Cloud for backup? are you using Smart Switch?

If you could, please share what you did step by step so I can try the same thing.

0 Likes
userrq2epOP0Go
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thank you, sir for your response.  I will try out the Samsung Members app.  I have used SMS Backup & Restore for years and haven't had a problem.  Starting in July, 2021, I switched from Google Messages to Textra and then the Samsung Messages app. 

Since mid-July to the present, my sent messages are missing.  They are missing not only from the backups but also if I switch back to Google Messages, Textra, or any third-party SMS app.  (If I switch from Samsung Messages to Google Messages, then my recent sent texts are missing, but if I then switch back to Samsung Messages, then I see all my sent texts.)  

I think for some reason the Samsung Messages app is storing my sent items separately from the received items, and that is why other SMS apps such as the backup app cannot see them.  And that is why I am asking for assistance.  Thanks in advance. 

P.S. I see my text data backed up in my Samsung cloud, but I don't know how I can access it. Is there a way to restore onto the same device?

0 Likes
userrq2epOP0Go
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Upon further review, I found a clue. It looks like the messages that I'm missing are of a type "advanced messaging", whereas I have a few since July that show up in backup, and they are of the type "text message", along with most of the messages that I've received.  

So how can I get "advanced messaging" texts to show up in a different SMS app?

0 Likes