Original topic:

Chat settings unavailable

(Topic created on: 4/12/21 12:34 AM)
NanetteK
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi,

After the new update (Android 11; One UI 3.1) I got a popup about chat settings (in Messages).

I started the process but when I was asked (by Google) for a phone number I left the process.

However, now there is a (annoying) badge 'N' next to 'Chat settings' that I cannot get rid of because it won't open anymore.

I've emptied cache, deleted data, forced stop and restarted the phone (Galaxy A40) but to no avail.

It seems like a bug because when I click on 'Chat settings' there is a split second of a (white) background of a pop-up, but nothing more.

I don't want to have to go back to Factory settings but I'm also annoyed by the badge urging me something's up.

Is there a way I can restart/continue/ignore the Chat Settings-process?

0 Likes
2 Replies
userWkWPpTzbAi
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Just had this problem and was on chat and remote support with Samsung forever and they couldn't fix it, but I DID!

In the play store I installed Carrier Services (from Google) and Google Messages. 
Open Google Messages, set it as default messaging app. 
Went to settings > Chat Features to enable the new RCS chat.  You will get a pop-up asking you to to enable RCS (you will have to give them your number, but its google, they already have it)

You may have to wait a bit for it to verify.
Once verified you jump back over into Samsung Messages, set it as the default messaging app (should prompt you), then go to settings > chat settings.  It should let you in right away, then you can either keep the RCS chat on or turn it off.  No more annoying "N" badge!

You can now uninstall both Carrier services and Google Messaging.

Hope this helps!

NanetteK
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi WkWPpTzbAi,

Thanks!

I only installed Google Messages (not Carrier Services). Set it as default. Went back to Samsung Messages. Set that as default. Restarted the phone and voila. badge gone.

In the proces it said something like 'your phone is not equipped for chat function' or something. And when I go to Settings/Chat settings now, it doesn't go anywhere but that's okay; I don't use it.

Thanks again.

0 Likes