Original topic:

Compressed media

(Topic created on: 4/4/21 5:14 AM)
pawpawtroy
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I have a Galaxy a71 and when I use messages to send pictures or videos it compresses them before sending them which results in horrible quality. 
The local Sprint store didn't know what the problem was so I've had to switch to a different messaging app but I would like to get this problem resolved. I do not have this issue with Facebook Messenger, Snapchat just the messaging app that come on my phone
6 Replies
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Facebook Messenger and Snapchat use data to transfer the media, whereas regular messaging services use MMS. MMS is limited in the amount of data it allows so the image is compressed. 

0 Likes
pawpawtroy
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
The Moto e5 play that I was using before I switched to the a71 didn't do that and I'm on the same carrier, just upgraded the phone so that should have nothing to do with it
0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Were you using Google messages? MMS is a limited amount of data which is dictated by your carrier.

0 Likes
pawpawtroy
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I'm using Google messages now because my default messages app was compressing images and videos. I'm on the same carrier and I even upgraded to 5G so I don't know why it was doing that but I found a way around it with Google's app
0 Likes
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Google's app does not use MMS and 5G does not alter MMS standards. I am glad you found a way around it.

0 Likes
pawpawtroy
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Apparently it's something to do with Samsung messages and how it is set up.
0 Likes