cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete Sound Picker app

I have a Galaxy J7 Crown

Sound Picker will not allow me to change the ringtone.

Here is what I have already done:

Apps > Clicked on the three dots in upper right > Show System Apps > Sound Picker > Memory > Clear cache > Clear data

Turned phone off > turned phone back on > Apps > Re set App Preferences

And several variations of all of the above.

Now I still can't change the ringtone. When I click "Add" in the ringtone section I get this message "Allow Sound Picker to access phone, media, and files on your device?" Deny / Allow  

If I deny it, it says "Sound Picker cannot access....go to settings etc" and it's telling me how to reconnect Sound Picker, which I do not want to do b/c it will not allow me to change the ringtone.

I went into Google Play and looked under my apps and Sound Picker does not appear there.  Yet, I still am unable to change the ringtone.  A lot of work for $100 phone.  Should have kept my old non Samsung flip phone because this thing is horrible; it's a giagantic headache. Why do you allow this Sound Picker on your phone system, Samsung????

Galaxy J7 Crown

Model SM-S767VL

Serial # [Removed Off Page]  ER

4 REPLIES 4
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Delete Sound Picker app

Sound Picker is a system app, therefore it cannot be removed like a user level app. On some devices the app can be disabled. 

This app exists to allow users to change notifications sounds, hence the request for storage access @Anonymous.

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for responding to my query.  However, when it was not disabled I still was not able to change the ringtone. When I go to ringtone, choose a new ringtone and click "add," it just takes me to the Sound Picker App and shows me the sound on there is one I do not want.  I can't get it to change whether the application is running within the system or is disabled.  If someone can give me specific instructions as to what I am doing wrong, I would really appreciate it.  Honestly, it's not rocket science and it shouldn't be this frustrating. Thanks again @Leinz  appreciate your comment.  

Samsung Care Ambassador

@Anonymous Are you trying to use a specific file as a ringtone? The Picker app will scan for any audio files, including songs or voice recordings.

If you don't want directories with irrelevant files scanned, try adding a nomedia file to prevent apps from sussing those folders. To do so, use a file manager like total commander and create a blank text file. Rename the file to ".nomedia" to prevent android from indexing that directory. 

Now create folders in the root dir of your phone called Notifications and Ringtones respectively, then place tones there. Hopefully Sound Picker will only check those for audio files. 

Also, you can use a 3rd party app like Ringtone Maker to change tones quickly. 

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. Honestly all I want to  do is go to the Sound and Vibration section of the phone click on the sound I want and have that be the ringtone for my Samsung phone. It's that simple and it's what anyone who buys a phone should be able to do. I shouldn't have to jump through all those hoops that you mentioned in your response. Putting a ringtone on the phone should be one of the simplest operations after you have purchased a phone, whether it cost $20 or $200.  Judging from everything I'm reading online about this Sound Picker issue- people are not happy about it.  I'm now stuck with a phone whose ringtone I cannot change; if you have to start telling people about audio files in root directories and getting third party apps- something is very wrong with the product. Sadly, you blew it on this one Samsung. (BTW this is my first Samsung phone and I will never buy another nor can I recommend this phone to anyone.) I do however, appreciate that you have at least responded to the issue at hand, not that the responses have been particularly helpful, but at least you haven't just ignored the questions I have; so for that, I thank you.