JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Disappearing Shortcuts from Home screen

(Topic created on: 4/22/20 7:36 AM)
cbwilsha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have a Galaxy J3 Orbit and have 9 shortcuts on my Home page that I open to when turned on.  No lock sctreen first.  Two of the shortcuts constantly disappear and have to be installed again from Apps.  the two are Facebook and Smart Quick Settings. I constanyly have to renew them and have also tried Restarts after renewing them.  They stilll disappear after one or two on/off cycles.

Can anyone offer any help in correcting this?

I couldn't find any exact Product Forum to post in so if I am in wrong place, please let me know.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Are you using any themes or third party launchers on your device?

-If yes, I would recommend trying a default theme or launcher on your device

I would recommend testing your device in safe mode. If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

I would recommend trying to wipe the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try to wipe the cache partition on your device: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up and Home keys.
  3. Press and hold the Power key until the device vibrates, then release it. Keep pressing the Volume Up and Home keys the entire time.
  4. When you see the Android Recovery screen, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Wipe cache partition, then use the Power key to select it.
  6. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Yes, then use the Power key to select it.
  7. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Reboot system now, then use the Power key to select it.

Please keep me posted if you continue to experience these symptoms.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

7 Replies
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Are you using any themes or third party launchers on your device?

-If yes, I would recommend trying a default theme or launcher on your device

I would recommend testing your device in safe mode. If your phone is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe Mode feature. In Safe Mode, your phone won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identity and remove the app that may be causing the problem.

Give this link a try to test your device in safe mode: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

I would recommend trying to wipe the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try to wipe the cache partition on your device: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up and Home keys.
  3. Press and hold the Power key until the device vibrates, then release it. Keep pressing the Volume Up and Home keys the entire time.
  4. When you see the Android Recovery screen, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
  5. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Wipe cache partition, then use the Power key to select it.
  6. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Yes, then use the Power key to select it.
  7. Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Reboot system now, then use the Power key to select it.

Please keep me posted if you continue to experience these symptoms.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

cbwilsha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thank you very much for your answer.  I will try your suggestions and will post back with my results.

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

You're welcome. Please keep me posted if you continue to experience these symptoms, I would be happy to assist you further.

0 Likes
cbwilsha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Well Adam, it looks like the cache clearing may have done the job.  Been about 4 or 5 hours already with many on's and off's and no icon disappearing acts yet.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Other Mobile Devices

You're welcome. Please keep me posted if you need any further assistance in the future.

0 Likes
cbwilsha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Spoke too soon, Adam!  Turned Off and recharged overnight and upon starting this morning, two shortcuts missing--Fitbit and Contacts.  New thing, however, is two other shortcuts replaced the two that disappeared--Wallpaper and Web!

Beginning to look like I'm just going to have to live with it but I am going to try your original suggestions again and anything else I can think of.

C.B.

0 Likes
usersrb9V1TgTL
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

How are we to know which app may be causing the issue, though?

0 Likes