JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

GPS not working on new A50

(Topic created: 08-28-2019 07:35 AM)
MHO
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

The GPS does not work on my new A50.  About a minute after I start to drive I'll hear "GPS signal lost" and then never regain it.  It might work perhaps one trip out of ten but is otherwise completely unreliable.  No difference whether I'm using Google Maps or Waze.  Verizon sent me a replacement phone and the GPS worked for one day before failing the exact same way as my first phone.  What is going on - can this phone be THAT defective??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GodofSleep
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I had the same problem and nothing would fix it, and then I just updated to the latest software update. I did it today which is December 23rd and I know you posted this about a month ago but, the latest software update that Samsung said came out on December 1st at least it fixed my issues so far. Try the latest update hope it helps. 

View solution in context

20 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Try the same while booted in safe mode. If it works with no issue in safe mode, then you know it is a 3rd party app causing the problem.

To boot in safe mode:

1. Hold down the power button until the on screen buttons appear.
  2. Press and hold the Power off button until it changes to Safe mode
  3. Click the Safe mode button

MHO
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I'll try.  Is this a known problem?  Can you name some apps that might interfere?  I rarely have anything running on the phone, not even email auto-sync.

MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices

@MHO This is not a known issue. As far which apps that could be causing the issue we don't know. You will have to uninstall each app one by one until the app is found causing the issue. 

userlkMb8XqsM6
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Same gps not working issue for my a50 also, nothing is fixing this issue 

MHO
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Samsung refuses to acknowledge issue and just says to keep uninstalling apps until it works!  This is useless.  Go to play store and install GPS Status and Toolbox.  Then use it to calibrate your compass and then reset and re-download A-GPS data.  If satellites do not appear on display then reboot phone.  Always start Toolbox first and get a lock before you use your map software.  GPS lock should then hold for duration of your trip.  You'll need to do this every time.  A50 is great phone otherwise.  Good luck.

userUiQHcogCvH
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Me either 

0 Likes
user5BEhFqkSDv
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I am having exactly the same issue on a brand new phone. Is it a known issue yet?

userVpxE05jv2F
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I'm also experiencing the same issue. I've had my A50 for 1 month now, and started having problems with it the first week. Carrier (Freedom Mobile) and local Samsung repair shops are clueless, and only suggest factory reset (which is silly because I'd literally JUST activated it fresh, and had to enter my sign-in details). Only additional apps (other than the defaults that came from the phone) I added were Android Auto and Waze- Even when both are uninstalled and I try to use Google Maps, I still experience the issue. Problematic, since I rely on it for use with driving. 

I've been able to get it working again only by installing "GPS Status" from the play store and using it to manually clear/reset and download fresh aGPS data whenever I see the problem pop up. It is not an ideal solution, however - we SHOULDN'T be seeing these issues on such a new phone that is otherwise a good deal. If I were to take a stab (given my professional background in IT and telecommunications) and guess- we've come across a bug with the latest Android OS, interacting with the hardware used with it. 

I sincerely hope that Samsung is able to fix these issues. This is my first Samsung phone after using other Android phone manufacturers for the past 10 years.... I was expecting better from such a well-respected company. 

userUiQHcogCvH
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I am having the exact  Same issues I am seriously considering going to the iPhone

0 Likes