Original topic:

Galaxy A11 will not save APN settings - MMS messages do not work

(Topic created: 11-03-2022 09:38 PM)
giddyupngo
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi, I have a Galaxy A11 refurbished phone that was sent to me by Tracfone.  After meeting the requirements for unlocking, Tracfone sent me the codes and I unlocked it myself.  I ported my phone number to Redpocket, installed the RedPocket SIM, and started service with GSMT.  GSMT is basically T-mobile, but as redpocket is an MVNO they don't say it is T-mobile, they say GSMT.

Everything worked but MMS messages.  No group texts would come through, and I could not text pictures.  I spent a lot of time with redpocket support, they had me try the SIM in a different phone and MMS worked, so they said it is not a network or SIM issue, but a device issue.

Today I tried a "reset all settings". Now it won't call or text at all. Redpocket can fix this by doing a refresh on their end, but I don't know what that actually means, and they are not open now.

I also wiped the cache partition, as I saw a solution about that, but it didn't help.

The APN settings according to RedPocket are supposed to be the following.

Name Red Pocket Mobile
APN WHOLESALE
Proxy Not set
Port 8080
Username Not set
Password Not set
Server Not set
MMSC http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy Not set
MMS Port Not set
MCC 310
MNC 280
Authentication Type None
APN Type Default,mms,supl
APN Protocol IPv4
Bearer Unspecified

However, when I get to the APN screen there is a message saying ""Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"  It does allow me to "Add" a new APN, however if I put in the suggested MNC (change it from 240 to 280), then when I tap "save" it does not save and just shows the "not available" message again, and I lose all my APN settings.  If I put in EVERYTHING else suggested except the MNC, it will stick, it shows the name of the new APN settings profile "Red Pocket Mobile", and I can tap the circle next to it and make it blue.

I found a clue about the MNC issue here https://www.reddit.com/r/USMobile/comments/vb2i8f/psa_on_gsm_sim_apn_settings/

Digits 5 though 7 on my SIM card are "240", so if the above post is right, the phone will override everything if I change it from 240, as it is pulling that from the SIM.  

So this phone was using the verizon carrier with Tracfone before I unlocked it.  It still has the TracFone splash screen on bootup.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Options
Other Mobile Devices

submit an error report on SSM after replicating the issue
Samsung Members app > Get help > Send feedback > Error reports

0 Likes
giddyupngo
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi, I submitted an error report and am waiting for a reply.  Thank you!

0 Likes
giddyupngo
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I received a response to my error report. They said it was not enough. They said clear the cache and data on every app, reboot, and if there is still an issue, send a video or picture. I recorded a video, still cannot call or text out. Tried safe mode and calling and texts didn't work in safe mode either. We will see what they say.
0 Likes
giddyupngo
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices
OK, so cleared cache and data on every app, this took over an hour. Then I made a video of the problem, attached it to a reply and sent another error report. Received this response.

Thank you very much for your feedback
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We are unable to process multiple issues in one ticket. Each ticket needs its own corresponding log. Please submit your report immediately after you experience an issue. Thank you!

It would have helped if you told me to start a new report? I started a new report with the fresh error report right after an instance of call and text failures. Sent it in. Hopefully they can help. My phone has not been working right for a week now.
0 Likes
Members_0WJytRX
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Same problem.  I've typed in settings for Mint mobile phone multiple times and cannot save the settings

0 Likes