Original topic:

Galaxy A22 5G: Encrypted SD Card unbearably slow

(Topic created: 07-09-2021 07:34 AM)
useryWXha3pwf9
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I got the A22 5G and I like it apart from one huge issue.

I encrypted my sd card (256 GB) and transfer rates are unbearably slow.
If I copy a 2 GB file from the internal storage to the SD card the process will only be completed by 35% after 30 minutes! This is unusable.

When I format the card (so it is decrypted) the same file copies in a few minutes.

If I insert the same card into another phone (motorola) and encrypt it, it is fast as well so it is not the card.

The card is class 10, U1, A1.

Could there be any reason for this?

I'll continue to find the reason for this but if I can't find a solution I'll return the phone while I still can.

6 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Other Mobile Devices
What's your sd card brand and model
0 Likes
useryWXha3pwf9
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thank you for your reply,
it is a Scan Disk Ultra.

Again if I disable SD encryption it works reasonably fast just with encryption the same card is slow.

fyi the test copy of my 2 gb file is still ongoing. 1.5 GB transferred in 35 minutes.

0 Likes
useryWXha3pwf9
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I returned the phone.
In case somebody else runs into this issue I'm afraid I could not determine the cause.

I tried adopting the SD card as internal storage via adp commands but Samsung has even blocked this now.
One can partition the SD card as internal storage still but it is not possible to trigger the migration.
This means any normal application will still only see the internal phone storage and not the sd card's.

0 Likes
n82
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Thats the sacrifice of encrypting your sd card.
0 Likes
useryWXha3pwf9
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Not really. I'd be happy if it would have been 50% slower. In this case it was unusably slow.

I encrypted my SD card on any smartphone I had since this feature was available.

Even 150$ China smartphones from 4 years ago were much, much faster.

This has to be some kind of bug.

0 Likes
n82
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Fair enough
You should contact customer care.
0 Likes