JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy A3 (2015) and Encryption Question

(Topic created: 01-11-2018 07:52 AM)
Okel
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi everyone, just a quick question here that I can't seem to find the answer for in a Google search-

I have a Galaxy A3 (2015) model, so it's an older one now. My phone however is updated to Marshmallow and now has the option to encrypt the device. I read a little a bit about encryption on Android as I'd like to have my phone as secure as possible. Anyway I noticed there were talks about having to enter an alphanumerical password to encrypt the device, and that you would need to enter this long password in place of a standard lockscreen PIN every time you need to unlock it? 

Just checking if this is true before I go ahead.  How do passwords work on older encrypted Galaxy phones?  Could I use a standard PIN with lockscreen apps? I'm just checking as I'd much rather a PIN to unlock my phone, out of ease really. 

Also while I'm here, would my device take a noticeable performance decrease? 

Thanks

8 Replies
Solution
SamsungViv
Neutron Star
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hey there @Okel

You can set up several different kinds of protection for you device from password to PIN to just a simple screen swipe. However, if you encrypt the device, you MUST use a 6 digit alphanumerical password, it won't let you choose any other option.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Okel
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Just to clarify - So this alphanumerical password would have to be entered every time I unlock the phone? Also how do 3rd party lockscreen apps work with this?

0 Likes
SamsungViv
Neutron Star
Options
Other Mobile Devices

It would have to be done every time you unlocked the device, not that dissimilar to any other unlock pattern, PIN, password, or swipe used. It's that way to keep the encryption and device safe. A don't know if any third party lock apps work with this, I think it has to be a system lock password since it asks for one as soon as the device is encrypted. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Okel
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Great. Thanks a lot for your help and answering my question. 

0 Likes
SamsungViv
Neutron Star
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Anytime! If you have any other questions that's what the Community is here for.  ^_^

0 Likes
user13v6twQ7jb
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I did this on my s4 but now want to deactivate it.  I can't  answer my phone in time due to having to enter the long pw.  How do I deactivate it? 

0 Likes
user13v6twQ7jb
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I did this on my s4 but want to deactivate it.  I can' answer my phone in a timely manner.  How do I deactivate the encryption?  

0 Likes
useriHUwmgzN3h
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I've lost all passwords i used to look in Samsung pass, but the app has been removed from my device through some update. how do i recover these passwords that are extremely important to my every day usage?
0 Likes