cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy A50 screen hung, how to force a shutdown?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Galaxy A50
Two days ago my screen hung because I stupidly wiped the screen while the screen was on, so it registered too many actions at once. So it slowly cycled thru different apps over a 15min time period & then the screen hung. I could not shut it down.

I googled what to do & came up this website result: http://www.samsungsfour.com/tutorials/how-to-shutdown-a-frozen-samsung-galaxy-smartphone-without-bat...
* Instructions= press and hold the "Vol Down"+"Power" button at the same time for a minimum of 8 seconds or until it gets Shutdown/Switch Off.
* Well don't try this at home on your A50 because it erased all my data without it even asking for acknowledgment! I tried this button combo again since all data was gone just to confirm that I pressed Vol Down & not Vol Up. But it definitely erased all the data again.

QUESTIONS:
1) Is this the expected action of using those 2 buttons on an A50?
2) Or is my (Open Box device) defective or had been rooted & the button definitions changed?
3) Where is the best place to discover valid, reputable troubleshooting tips?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy A50 screen hung, how to force a shutdown?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been bothering me tremendously. Finally stumbled upon just calling Samsung directly &  I was right! The phone has been rooted, the kernel doesn't match the A50.

The phone is warrantied but I don't want to go through the trouble of exhchanging the phone & reinstalling everything for the 3rd time, unless I knew this info.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Forcing a restart like you described shouldn't do a factory reset. It should just shut off the phone. I hope you have your phone backed up just in case.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Raymond_Swanson wrote:

Forcing a restart like you described shouldn't do a factory reset. It should just shut off the phone. I hope you have your phone backed up just in case.

Thx.

Interesting. Do you think the previous owner had some button definitions changed possibly? I'd like to definitively figure this out so I can go back to the seller about this.

I had some backups, some were a couple days old, some were 2 weeks old. Smiley Frustrated

April

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There is no way for me to tell what the previous owner did. Any button reordering that may have been done would have been overwritten with the factory reset. They may have used the wrong button combo and broght up the recovery menu accidentally. It's hard to say.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just meant is it possible that a person could root a phone and change the button definitions so that as a reseller of used phones, they could more easily erase all phones for testing & reselling enmasse?

After I unwittingly erased the whole phone, I re-tested the button combo of Vol.Down with Power button & "succeeded" in erasing the phone again - so the button combo still functioned as Erase without any confirmation.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has been bothering me tremendously. Finally stumbled upon just calling Samsung directly &  I was right! The phone has been rooted, the kernel doesn't match the A50.

The phone is warrantied but I don't want to go through the trouble of exhchanging the phone & reinstalling everything for the 3rd time, unless I knew this info.

View solution in original post