JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy J3 Screen Timeout after 30 seconds

(Topic created: 09-11-2017 06:31 AM)
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

No matter what I choose in Display Settings, my screen will timeout after 30 seconds UNLESS I have a video actively playing. If it's still loading, or paused for buffering, then the issue still occurs. I've tried restarting the phone, and turning it all the way off,removing then reinstalling the battery, and then turning it back on, but neither one made a difference. Oh and in the screen timeout options, it does show whatever amount of time I selected, but the option I choose doesn't seem to apparently doesn't matter to the phone lol? Please help. 

56 Replies
dizzie
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Clearing the cache did not work. What did work was a factory reset and then not restoring from my prior Android device. True, my nice home screen photo was missing and I'm sure there will be some other settings to manage, but I can fix these easily and it's worth it to have the screen timeout function properly.

To perform a factory reset:

1) Turn phone off

2) Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: 
•Volume Up key 
•Home key 
•Power key. 
3) At Android System Recovery screen, release Volume Up and Home keys
4) Use volume keys to navigate to Factory Reset and power button to select it

0 Likes
SamsungMel
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I appreciate you trying these steps with me. It sounds like we would want to try backing up the phone and testing with a factory reset. But I know that's a pretty drastic step to take and people are mostly reluctant to do that. Heck, I would be. So before trying that I just want to double check something with you - what do you currently have your Display Settings adjusted to for the screen timeout option? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userYkRqouFh6V
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

30 minutes is what Mike's set too. 

0 Likes
userYkRqouFh6V
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

30 minutes is what Mine's set too. 

0 Likes
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Currently it's set for 10 minutes. When I first noticed the issue, after turning the phone off & removing the battery the first time tech support suggested it, and just after completing your suggestion to clear at my partition I have tried literally every available option in that menu to see if it makes any difference, but it has not. If I had a convenient way to back up everything on my internal storage, this wouldn't be such a pain in the ass. Since I don't, I'm going to have to get rid of some things I truly don't want to on my SD card, just so I can make room for before I can even do the factory reset. Then, I get to experience the pain in the ass of a completely different flavor that is the process of trying get my phone exactly the way it was (the way I have it now, minus the problem that I've been trying to resolve since literally the first day I purchased the phone of course) before I fixed the issue the phone never should have had to begin with. So, Samsung, thank you for nothing. Before this incident, I loved your products. I was literally smiling giddily with anticipation and excitement when I brought home my current phone, bur having to go through all this without any recourse or or compensation makes me wish that I had just gotten an LG or even an iPhone instead... 😡

0 Likes
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Aaaaaand I just completed the factory reset, and I STILL have the exact same problem!

0 Likes
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I just  bought  mine on the 15th, activated it around 11:30pm, and I'm experiencing the  same problem......

Except  my screen  times out in  like 10 seconds....

0 Likes
Options
Other Mobile Devices

So after some internet browsing,  I came across an article about this issue and they suggested downloading an app called  "stay alive" on the Google Play Store. I downloaded it, and it is keeping my screen on. It sucks  to have bought a phone that needs a third party fix...

My phone is the Boost Mobile Samsung J3 Emerge with Android 6.0.1

user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Also, now, my phone will not recognize that I have an SD card installed?!? I need a new phone or a refund, it is that simple. 

0 Likes
userxHIrUk8Sei
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Set the screen timeout display

15secs 30secs 1min etc to what you want....stay in the display screen and restart the phone....there is no need for 3rd party apps to keep the screen timeout on..regards..keith

0 Likes