JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy J3 Screen Timeout after 30 seconds

(Topic created: 03-05-2018 01:07 PM)
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

No matter what I choose in Display Settings, my screen will timeout after 30 seconds UNLESS I have a video actively playing. If it's still loading, or paused for buffering, then the issue still occurs. I've tried restarting the phone, and turning it all the way off,removing then reinstalling the battery, and then turning it back on, but neither one made a difference. Oh and in the screen timeout options, it does show whatever amount of time I selected, but the option I choose doesn't seem to apparently doesn't matter to the phone lol? Please help. 

56 Replies
SamsungMel
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

That doesn't sound right. Does it also happen while the phone's in Safe Mode?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I just got it into Safe Mode, and I'm still having the same issue. So I tried changing the amount of time before time out from where it was currently (30 minutes)  to something new (1 minute) just in case it might make a difference, and unfortunately, my screen still locks after only 15 seconds. BTW, after several attempts, I was unable time  get your instructions for entering safe mode to work. However, these alternative instructions did work.

With the device turned off, press and hold the Power key. Release the Power key once the Android logo appears, then press and hold the Volume Down key until the device starts up. The device will start up in safe mode. To turn off safe mode, swipe down the Status bar. Tap Safe modeenabled. Tap OK.

0 Likes
SamsungMel
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

That's super weird. Maybe try clearing your cache partition to see if that helps the system run smoother. 

Also, to get into Safe Mode another way you can press and hold the Power button (located on the right) until Phone options is displayed then release. Then select and hold Power off until the Reboot to Safe Mode prompt appears then release. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
user34tAA34aCn
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I haven't tried clearing out my partition yet because it seems to be, pretty much, just a factory reset, and the laptop that I need in order to backup some really large files on my local storage is temporarily out of commission. Please correct me if I am wrong about clearing out my partition being different than a factory reset, and please link me to some reliable instructions on how to do so. Also, the alternate way to enter safe mode that you mentioned, absolutely does not work on my device. The only reason that I was able to restart into safe mode at all is that there are other people that cannot use the method that you recommended, and, luckily, they put out directions that actually do work for my phone. Thank you for trying to help, I hope that your next attempt will be more successful. 

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungMel
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Anytime at all! Here's some insight on what clearing the cache partition does and how to perform that task. 🙂 

The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to run more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. It's different from clearing individual app caches, and it won't lead to any loss of personal data or settings. 
Turn off the device and press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: 
•Volume Up key 
•Home key 
•Power key. 
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys. 
Once here, use your volume keys to navigate and your power button to select. All we want to do is wipe the cache partition and then reboot. 
Keep us posted on your results please! 

userYkRqouFh6V
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

@SamsungMel wrote:

Anytime at all! Here's some insight on what clearing the cache partition does and how to perform that task. 🙂 

The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to run more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. It's different from clearing individual app caches, and it won't lead to any loss of personal data or settings. 
Turn off the device and press and hold the following three buttons at the same time: 
•Volume Up key 
•Home key 
•Power key. 
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys. 
Once here, use your volume keys to navigate and your power button to select. All we want to do is wipe the cache partition and then reboot. 
Keep us posted on your results please! 

I tried this and it did not work for me. My screen still times out after a few seconds. Help pleaseits rather annoying  

0 Likes
Rooster2489
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Ooo ty this works

0 Likes
userU46tjF933l
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Google's Account Backup & Restore on the Samsung Galaxy J3  was the issue on the phone's Time Out Screen setting being stuck at 10 seconds regardless of the user's setting.  The fix is very simple - Just do a Factory Reset but do not have Google restore your account's Apps and Setting.  Instead let the phone update through Google Play and installed the apps that way.  An SMS Backup/Restore Utility can be used to bring text and contacts over.  Time Out Screen Setting resolved.

userZZMXpZz8ps
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thank you this fixed the issue

0 Likes