cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy J7 Star WiFi calling option gone from Android 9

Two J737T phones, one running Android 8.0 the other on 9.0. WiFi calling works fine on Android 8. The WiFi calling enable switch is gone on Android 9. The main window drop down menu shows my WiFi AP connected. For Android 9, there is a "Wi-Fi Calling" icon visible on this screen, but it is grey'ed out blue and not selectable. On Android 8, this icon merely toggles WiFi calling on/off. Under Settings->Connections->More connection settings" the "Wi-Fi Calling" menu entry is not present on Android 9, but is there on Android 8. On Android 9, select "Settings" then search for "WiFi Calling", which finds "Apps->App info" an app called "Wi-Fi Calling" installed. I've set Notifications to "Allowed" and Permissions to "Phone". However, none of this allows me to make a WiFi call on the Android 9 phone. I've swapped SIM cards between these two phones, and WiFi calling only works on the Android 8 phone. This feature appears to have been removed or mis-configured during upgrade, preventing Android 9 WiFi calling from working. Please, please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy J7 Star WiFi calling option gone from Android 9

Have you reached out to your carrier for assistance as this is a carrier specific feature?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

The phone(s) are MetroPCS T-Mobile branded Samsung J7. I had a pay-as-you-go plan, no data, with T-Mobile for over a year. I switched to MintMobile a month ago. The Mint plan has data/voice. My J7 running Android 8 WiFi calling works flawlessly on Mint's network. Android 9, no happy. I first spoke with MintMobile. They said it is possible that T-Mobile didn't fully unlock all features, WiFi calling specifically. Unlikely, as the Android 8 phone works. I then spoke with T-Mobile for a while. They suggested getting a pay-as-you-go account to get back on their network so they can introspect my Android 9 phone. Afterwards, I spoke with a Samsung rep for a really long time. They had me clear the Wifi-Caller app application data and cache. That allowed me to access the WiFi Calling control on the main page, to enable WiFi calling. That is some progress. However, the Phone app still doesnt make Wifi calls. The Phone app's Settings menu also does not show WiFi calling is available. I also tried a Factory Default reset on the Android 9 phone. That didn't help.

So far, after speaking with MintMobile, T-Mobile and Samsung, I still don't have this issue resolved. Any further ideas are welcome.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I put this MintMobile SIM card into my wife's Samsung Galaxy SM-J700, running Android 7.1.1. Worked with no struggle, it just worked. This is making it look like Android 9 is the at fault, at least the Samsung fork of Android.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Two questions for Samsung:

1) When are J737T phones receiving the Android 10 update?

2) Is the non-unfunctional WiFi calling recognized as a bug, and will it be fixed in Android 10?

January 2020 is the soonest unlocked phones will receive updates. Note: Android 10 was released in Septempber 3rd 2019.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same issue here with two  j7 star phones. Tmobile has not provided solution yet. Wifi calling qork ok on the phones with android 8 but not with 9. Can Samsung ack. this is a known issue abd provide fix? I can give as much details as needed. Please help

Highlighted
Constellation

The two phones I wrote about above are SM-J737T with pcs metro stock firmware,  they were not unlocked.

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm sorry, the correct model number is SM-J737T1 .