cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy Xcover Pro feature questions

I'm considering the purchase of a Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro. Specifically, I'm looking at the US market GSM unlocked version.

I'm having trouble finding definitive answers to a few of my questions.

I know that the phone supports NFC, and has PCI certification to act as a payment terminal so it can work like a mobile cash register. Can it also work on the consumer side, so the phone can be used to make a tap-to-pay payment? In other words, does it support Samsung Pay? Does it at least support Google Pay's NFC-only tap-to-pay?

I know that the phone is targeting business and first responder, and that DeX is heavily marketed to business and first responder, but I can't find solid confirmation that DeX is on the phone.

The Xcover FieldPro has a pogo pin charging dock that also can charge a spare battery. Does that dock work with Xcover Pro, or will a similar dock be produced for the Xcover Pro?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy Xcover Pro feature questions

I found this document:
https://docs.samsungknox.com/CCMode/G715FN_Q.pdf

I don't have much context for this document.

It shows com.samsung.android.spayfw is installed out of box, but not com.samsung.android.spay, which is what my Samsung Pay app is called on my old phone. This appears to be the framework, but not the app. I don't see the Google Play Store on here either, so maybe this isn't a full list.

Highlighted
Astronaut

hi

have you already got the phone?

i am concidering to order it too but cant find anything about supported languages

the US's version SM-G715U/DS  may differ from the EU one SM-G715FN

May be if you have alredy got it you could check it?

thx

Highlighted
Asteroid

I did buy it, with many of my questions unanswered. It's a great phone, but it's more than a little absurd that this is how we have to get answers to our questions about it.

My unit is an SM-G715U1

The list of supported languages is quite long. I've already selected US English, so that won't appear in this list.

Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro language list (US English is supported, but because it has been selected, it is not shown in this list)Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro language list (US English is supported, but because it has been selected, it is not shown in this list)

Highlighted
Asteroid

Replying to myself, since I've bought this phone.

Samsung Pay is not supported, but it appears that Google Pay is. The Galaxy store and Bixby seem to point owners toward installing Samsung Pay, and you can certainly install Samsung Pay from the Galaxy Store, but once installed, you'll get a message that Samsung Pay is not supported.

DeX is not supported - I tested it on an original DeX Station, and it did not respond.

The dual-SIM function doesn't work out of the box, but will function in a future update. It's not clear whether that update has been released, or how owners will know the update status.

The one monthly security update I've received was the June 2020 update, which arrived in early June - that's really good cadence for a 3rd party Android device.

The top button and Xcover button can launch any app, or perform a limited number of non-app "functions". Zello Walkie-Talkie immediately detected the buttons from the configuration menu, and they work well there.  

The screen has brightness issues near the bottom and around the hole punch.

The glass is the most scratch resistant I've ever had on a phone. The whole thing looks 100% new out of box after a month.

Battery optimization seems quite good.

Fortnite is not compatible with the phone - neither app store allows an installation.

The screen recording features found on recent Galaxy S models aren't present, aside from the Game Launcher, where it's only available for apps detected by the Game Launcher to be a game. Apps manually added to the Game Launcher cannot use Game Launcher features.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hi, 

Have you find an answer to the pogo charger question ? I ordered this phone for my wife to replace her galaxy7 active. But that one had wireless charging the the Xcover pro does not.