cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Gear Sport battery sudden Battery drain

I have had my Gear Sport watch for about six months, and haven't added or changed anything other than the usual Galaxy Store updates in recent months. In the past couple weeks I have had about 4 episodes of the watch draining the battery in a couple of hours after I've gone to bed. I would charge it in the evenings, put it on, note that "Goodnight mode" was either set to start or had already started and at about 3am I am awakened by the watch buzzing and turning off at 0%. I've not used it whilst asleep other than whatever it does to track sleep cycles and whatnot.

Not every night. No pattern I have yet ascertained as to what might be causing it. On the other nights I wake up next morning at 95% battery remaining or thereabouts (which is what I'd expect). I've looked at HR settings (Auto HR every ten minutes), I know that the last couple of times it was definitely IN Goodnight mode so do-not-disturb set etc (and it's not notifying me and turning on as I'd have noticed that). Obviously have checked that all software is updated tot he latest versions watch and phone. All good there. And as it is turned off I have achieved the reboot idea. Unless I should be rebooting it every night before bed ? Is that a requirement now?

Any ideas? Is it just mine? Or are others seeing this behaviour or know of it fom some time more recent than 2018.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Gear Sport battery sudden Battery drain

I've seen a couple other people reporting this, and I've been experiencing it too. Might be the same issue or something slightly different, but for me and at least one other person (whose post seems to have vanished?) have the same problem—watch disconnects, then suffers extreme battery drain. No other changes, and good battery life, until it isn't.

There has to be some kind of bug in the software where the watch gets stuck in some loop. I think if enough of us continue complaining about it, Samsung might actually address it—this definitely isn't a one-off issue with hardware.

edit: I should also note a couple more details of what I've experienced. The Watch processor severely bogs down, with some things not responding properly. For example, raise to wake doesn't function, and holding the power button for a couple seconds will bring up the option to turn off, but the watch won't respond to presses of the power button.

Holding the power button down longer WILL reboot the Watch, and that will fix the issue, at least for a couple days. But it keeps coming back after 2-3 days.

For reference, I have Galaxy Watch Active2 44mm UA Edition.

EDIT OCT 6 2020: A recent software update seems to have fixed this for me. Average battery drain has increased from before, so I need to charge more frequently, but that's better than the battery randomly taking a nosedive every couple days for a month and a half.
Highlighted
Constellation

It's happen to me too.  Samsung Gear Sport.  All the sudden battery drain realy quick.

@Glassy wrote:
I've seen a couple other people reporting this, and I've been experiencing it too. Might be the same issue or something slightly different, but for me and at least one other person (whose post seems to have vanished?) have the same problem—watch disconnects, then suffers extreme battery drain. No other changes, and good battery life, until it isn't.

There has to be some kind of bug in the software where the watch gets stuck in some loop. I think if enough of us continue complaining about it, Samsung might actually address it—this definitely isn't a one-off issue with hardware.

edit: I should also note a couple more details of what I've experienced. The Watch processor severely bogs down, with some things not responding properly. For example, raise to wake doesn't function, and holding the power button for a couple seconds will bring up the option to turn off, but the watch won't respond to presses of the power button.

Holding the power button down longer WILL reboot the Watch, and that will fix the issue, at least for a couple days. But it keeps coming back after 2-3 days.

For reference, I have Galaxy Watch Active2 44mm UA Edition.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have a gear sport, and my wife has a watch active 2. Both have had similar issues with losing connection and not reconnecting. My gear sport won't even show the power button to shut it off when it's happening. All you can do is long press until it reboots. Both devices have totally lost pairing and had to be setup from scratch like a new device to work again. All of this has happened since the latest update to the Wear app.
Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem for me.  Watch (Gear Sport) bogs down, usually disconnects, and will go through the battery in a few hours.  Looking at the watch battery usage, it looks like the culprit is either Samsung Health or Notifications -- they will be the largest users by far, with everything else with almost no usage.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I presume Samsung don't read or monitor these forums. Has anyone successfully logged this issue with Samsung support? I tried and the website failed, will try and call them when I have a spare few hours. Wondering if they are officially aware of this issue?

Highlighted
Asteroid

From the volume of complaints about this online it is very wide spread, but zero acknowledgement from Sam$ung as yet. I have tried to log a support call but got the usual run around on disabling all notifications etc, not an issue for anyone else etc etc. I'm just unlucky.  My watch is out of warranty so I can't proceed without coughing up money. For that cost I'll go get a new fitbit. And they were only intending to swap the battery out anyway. Seen online that this makes no difference - it's a software glitch not a bum lithium diode.
Does anyone know how to roll back the last software updates? Can we get a link to the old ones and re-install them somehow?Not sure if it was the Gear app or a watch software update - either one or both being installed back to the pre-August 2020 verison would do to test the theory.