Original topic:

Google Pixel Items in my Galaxy

(Topic created: 08-09-2022 06:59 PM)
ChristinaCvS
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
My A71 5G has been acting strangely since last October. Prior to the Android 12 upgrade, I noticed Android System Intelligence under system apps,  a strictly Pixel component, and disabled & uninstalled it through the app menu. After the 12 upgrade its com]anion app Private Compute Services showed up. Also got the same treatment. I then noticed that when I changed my phone name in order to differentiate one A71 5G from my other that it would show a Galaxy Setup / Android Set up noticed in the notification pull down menu. Odd, I never had a Galaxy do that before.

My upgrade had the beautiful new One UI. Thanks!
Unfortunately, that did not last. I decided to go ahead and turn on everything I had disabled to see if the device would run better as my 5G was constantly running on 4G for no reason. You guys said the apps came with 12 & not to worry, so I tried it.

Guess what? I now have a Samsung Galaxy that has a Google Android S Easter Egg and a 12 System UI. It shows signs of having a ghost user. It showed signs of having been rooted by that user in their system before they linked it to mine when I had to hard factory reset it back quite a few months ago. 

Obviously my device is out of warranty, but Samsung will now not accept it as a trade-in because of all this. Nice, huh?

Has anyone else experienced this? Please check your system apps and let me know.
0 Likes
15 Replies
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I believe OneUI 4 and beyond has its own Android System Intelligence. Google does maintain the foundations of Android so its more like an android 12 feature than a pixel feature ?
0 Likes
ChristinaCvS
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I know Google has done a lot to advance the dominance and marketshare of Android since they purchased it in 2005. My first was an HTC Desire on the Verizon network running Eclair 2.1 which I got cheap in June of 2010. I had a cheap Samsung feature phone in 2012. I only wish I had upgraded to a Galaxy then. I al so wish more e developers would develop their apps for the Galaxy Store first before they decide to make all updates through the Play Store so they have KNOX Security, especially anything where using a credit card is involved (although Samsung Wallet does well with its Cash Back thing). Samsung should have also invested in its own US-based servers for their Cloud instead of offloading it to Microsoft. But I guess they have no interest in developing their own phone & computer closed OS systems like Apple at the moment. It would be awesome if they did.
0 Likes
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I agree with all of this. Android phones are seriously formidable options to power users, especially what I'm rocking, the S22 Ultra.
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
But yeah they should totally create their own workflow ecosystems and not rely on Microsoft
ChristinaCvS
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Can you tell I still have Winblows? WPS OFFICE by Kingsoft is better on mobile anyway, especially for their mobile view in docs & password to flip pages instead of scroll. Can't do that with a lot of other mobile or computer apps.
0 Likes
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I see what you mean. I am daily driving a KDE plasma ARCH build nowadays. Personally ditched windows
ChristinaCvS
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I can do flips and tricks on an An Android just like a computer. Do you use a PGP key or a GnuPG (GPG) on your computer to encrypt your email? Try Open Keychain:Easy PGP app in the Play Store. I use it with K@Mai but you can use K-9 mail which I find clunky. I also use it with their recommended app Password Store to encrypt my passwords and autopilot them (when I use it instead of Samsung Wallet or Google. Then there is Boxcryptor to encrypt your files uploaded to your cloud drives. If need that kind of thing. Most people don't. But you can never be too safe with some info.
0 Likes
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I do flips and tricks with offloading certain tasks to my computer for less overhead during development on my PC
Zlib
Halo
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Also I don't use cloud services unless it's for very mundane things.