JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Hidden images showing up in other applications

(Topic created: 12-24-2021 12:42 PM)
userUWwlmEoM8a
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I found this privacy issue last night. My phone is a Samsung A31 with Android 11. I have a few albums which I have set to hidden, However the images in those albums are visible from applications which allows to upload images i.e.; Instagram, twitter. This is a breach of privacy.

Here is a screenshot of "Hide or unhide albums" menu with an album with an image for this demo:

userUWwlmEoM8a_0-1640378039835.png

Here is the picture of the gallery:

userUWwlmEoM8a_1-1640378094214.png

As you can see the "Hidden Album 1" is not there in the main gallery.

However when I open an app which allows me to upload images in this case Instagram this happens:

userUWwlmEoM8a_2-1640378213971.png

The image which is still in the "Hidden Album 1" can be seen and also uploaded. 

Is there a fix to this? because this is very concerning as this is a breach of privacy ().

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Well, Android is basically Linux, so any subdirectory that has a period as the first character in its name makes it "hidden", but file managers such as Google Files has an option for "Show hidden subdirectories"

But yea, the average Joe/Joan won't know to do that.

To make photos absolutely hidden, copy them to your desktop or laptop, or to Google Photos, then delete them from the phone šŸ‘

View solution in context

5 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
"Hidden" is an option only known to Gallery ... it doesn't actually set the subdirectory to hidden globally ... it's only designed to be hidden when you're using Gallery

So yea, not a privacy breach
userUWwlmEoM8a
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

So is there a way to make it hidden globally? 

0 Likes
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Well, Android is basically Linux, so any subdirectory that has a period as the first character in its name makes it "hidden", but file managers such as Google Files has an option for "Show hidden subdirectories"

But yea, the average Joe/Joan won't know to do that.

To make photos absolutely hidden, copy them to your desktop or laptop, or to Google Photos, then delete them from the phone šŸ‘
userUWwlmEoM8a
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thank you! I should've figured out about the "." 

0 Likes
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
... hubby is a Linux fanatic šŸ™‚