Original topic:

How to select NON-default contact phone number?

(Topic created: 08-03-2021 05:10 PM)
user5zc345NYMI
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Most of my contacts have multiple phone numbers.  When I use bluetooth or voice hands free to say "Call Jane Doe" using my new Galaxy A52, it ALWAYS calls the default number,  but that isn't necessarily the one I want to call at any given time. With my old LG phone, when I said call Jane Doe,  it would always ask me (for example) "home, work, or mobile?"  It gave me the choice every time, which I LOVED.  Is there a way to get that choice with the Galaxy phone when I am calling a contact hands free? Don't tell us we have to enter multiple contacts, one for each different phone number for the same person, nor that we need to change default number, never knowing which number we may need to call on the fly. Is there a way to use the A52 in this way and if so, what is that? If calling contacts on the Samsung Galaxy cannot operate like my LG phones did, and there is no way around the default number always being called, then I wish I had never bought this phone and I will have to return it. 

5 Replies
Je655
Sun
Options
Other Mobile Devices
For Bixby or google Try saying "call Jane doe on home, work or mobile" in one sentence.
If you using Google assistant and it's not asking the follow up question make sure that setting is on. To check open your google app and press snapshot at the bottom, then select your profile in the top right and scroll down till you see continued conversation.
0 Likes
user5zc345NYMI
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Well what if I don't remember if the one of my 350+ contacts has a work, or mobile, or home number or some combo thereof?  How do I phrase my question with google assistant or with bixby? 

0 Likes
user5zc345NYMI
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

By the way, I already have google continued conversations toggled on and it doesn't wait for another statement or question.  The number is dialed almost immediately (I just tested this).   I am not using Bixby because it has misinterpreted my statements too often; it is in-accurrate too often.   Please note that i cannot remember for all 350+ of my contacts how many phone numbers they each have and how they are labeled (I have created custom labels for some of them)   Thus, the suggestion to ask to call all of Jane Doe's  numbers by label/by type is not practical, because that means I would have to memorize the labels and the number of phone numbers I have entered, for every one of my 350 + contacts.  Samsung really should update its software for all of its phones so that  it asks US which number for Jane Doe we want it to call. 

0 Likes
user5zc345NYMI
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I figured out what the issue was and below is how I fixed it.  While I realize Samsung wants its Bixby Voice app to be the default voice assistant, I prefer Google Assistant.  Why:  (1) Bixby continually misinterprets the names I ask it to call (2) it tells me it can't find a phone number type for the contact it (finally) does find, when in fact the type (such as "home", "work", or "mobile") does exist for the contact.

The solution for me to get Google Assistant back as my tried and true default, on my A52 5G phone, was:  Settings > Apps > Bixby Voice > Defaults > Set as default > then pressed the "Clear defaults" button.  As a result, on my phone, the Bixby voice app is shown as "not set as default".  I ensured that Google is set as the default ( Settings > Apps > Google > Defaults > it shows "Set as default".

Now, finally, my hands-free voice commands and the responses to my commands done through my blue tooth earpiece work as I they had before with my previous two android LG phones. 

Here is what happens now and is what I wanted to happen:  When using my blue tooth earpiece and I say "call Jane Doe" (who has 3 different phone number types) Google Assistant correctly interprets my request and finds the Jane Doe contact without a problem, and says as expected "Sorry. Tell me which one you want, or feel free to use the screen".   I then verbally respond by saying "mobile" (or "home" or whatever type of number I want to call).  Then Google Assistant says "calling Jane Doe, Mobile" and it makes the call to that number successfully.  JUST WHAT I WANT AND EXPECT.   I hope that Google Assistant NEVER removes this functionality.

I would suggest that for Bixby to compete with Google Assistant, Samsung should update Bixby Voice functionality to handle hands-free voiced call requests the way Google Assistant handles them as described above.  Please add this Bixby Voice functionality suggestion to Samsung's Bixby database of product ideas.

Je655
Sun
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Im glad to here you were able to find the setting you needed to change. I believe you can just change your default assistant without clearing any of Bixbys settings here Settings>apps>3 dots>default apps>device assistant app>device assistant app>google
0 Likes