Original topic:

Latest update messed up my phone and changed my settings and deleted my ringtone from the list.

(Topic created: 07-24-2021 11:36 AM)
LUNYTOON
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Is there anyway to uninstall the latest update.  It really messed up my phone.  All my settings have changed or disappeared, like my ringtone that I had.

3 Replies
space_pro
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I would recommend going the other way. Instead of going back, make sure your apps (like ringtone) are being auto-updated through store they were downloaded from. It is most likely issue of the apps that are the issue. You want to always make sure to use latest update from Samsung to keep your device safe from security threats and issues.
0 Likes
user7YO55ypC4K
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Trusting manufacturer updates is not necessarily a wise thing to do as is proven with the latest Samsung update pushed to phones over last month. When Samsung pushes an update that does serious harm to the phone and apps with no means to roll it back, there is nothing good about it. The latest update has done exactly that - broken apps, removed settings, removed data and reset a ton of things that it should never have touched. Samsung pulled a Microsoft SNAFU with the latest update. Apps that had no problems now refuse to work no matter what. Customized settings were are removed and cannot be returned to where they were because Samsung claims that there is NO WAY TO UNDO THE LATEST UPDATE. The ONLY option is to factory reset and not allowing the phone to install the latest update by NEVER clicking the install button.

The fact is that if a phone works properly before a manufacturer pushed update and then doesn't after the update is installed, the update is the culprit. When the update cannot be undone, that is a serious problem especially when it has wreaked havoc on the phone and apps therein.

0 Likes
space_pro
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
It makes me happy to share this with you since I don't think these things about technology are talked about enough with the public. The app or software developer writes programs for the operating systems it wants to run on. Think when apps would only be on Android or Apple. Same with game platforms, Playstation or Xbox. The operating systems want developers to write programs that work properly on their systems, so they give developers "sandboxes" with latest versions months before the release to make sure the program or software runs without errors. Even then, they roll out the new updates in waves. This is what is called a patch on the operating system. If there is security threat or issue, the operating system closes the loop, which might change how programs that run on the system operate. It is up to the developer of the program or app to make sure it runs properly on popular devices using the newest operating system updates. If the developer has moved on to making next program (because they tapped most of the income from current market or they are doing complete rebuild to a new version of program), they won't perform maintenance to keep it working with latest update. Usually, the developer will notate whether program or app is currently being supported in the developer notes. If it is no longer being supported, it means the app is no longer being worked on to fix bugs or perform maintenance. Some programs or apps are so large or buggy that they have big backlog of fixes to get through and deprioritize working on latest operating system update, so when you install the new update to device, it doesn't work properly for some time after. You might uninstall the app and then find a few months or a year later when you reinstall, that it works fine again. This means the developer has caught up on patches. I hope this helps provide some additional insight into how updates work and why it is important that both operating system developers and program developers work together to improve performance to users. If you are having issue with a specific app, I highly encourage you to let them know problem through app store because sometimes they just don't know working on older bugs and it is easy fix they will get to sooner.
0 Likes