cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Lock Screen Shortcuts Have Disappeared

I am not sure when exactly it happened, either than relatively recently, but the two shortcut buttons in the bottom right and left corners of the lock screen have disappeared.

I have gone into settings>lock screen>app shortcuts and tried changing the apps then returning them to my preferred (phone and camera) with no success. 
Resetting device has not worked (whether choosing "reset" or turning off for 10sec before turning on again).
When running in safe mode the shortcuts are still missing from the lock screen.

Android Support directed me here, explaining that this is a device issue rather than an operating system issue.

I have a Galaxy A5, running android version 8.0.0 with no pending system updates.

How can I resolve this issue?
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Lock Screen Shortcuts Have Disappeared

Give this a try: go to settings > lock screen > app shortcuts > do you have layout  set to bottom corners or touch and hold to show

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

@SamsungAdam 

..."app shortcuts > do you have layout  set to bottom corners or touch and hold to show"

The only option I have in "settings > lock screen > app shortcuts" is to assign or turn off left and/or right lock screen shortcuts. There is no option to choose a layout.Selecting "left/right shortcut" pulls up the list of apps I can assign. There is also a sliding button to turn the shortcut "off/on".Selecting "left/right shortcut" pulls up the list of apps I can assign. There is also a sliding button to turn the shortcut "off/on".

As you can see in the screenshot, both shortcuts have an app assigned to them. They are "turned on". As stated in my original post, I have toggled these settings with no success.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are you using a theme or a third party launcher on your device?

When you factory reset your device are you restoring from a back up?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

I do use a theme, as well as themed icons, both of which were downloaded directly from "Galaxy Themes". Restoring the theme and icons to default does not bring my shortcuts back. I have been using this theme and icon set, unchanged, since before the lock screen shortcuts disappeared.

I have not factory reset my phone, as of yet, and I do not wish to do so unless one can be sure it will absolutely resolve the issue.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The next step would be to back up your device and factory reset. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data, so you don't lose it all.

Highlighted
Astronaut

my galaxy s10 did the same thing while in my pocket! it reformatted homesceen, deleted the apps button and eliminated the news screen. what a piece of junk!