JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Message: "Something went wrong while importing the contacts. Try Again" when importing contacts

(Topic created: 02-28-2023 07:30 AM)
userAyuElFDPmv
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I lost my old phone so I can't use SmartSwitch to port my contacts over to my new Samsung A 14 5G. I previously loaded my contacts to my old phone into the Samsung Contacts app via the import function, but that does not seem to be working on my new phone. I get the message "Something went wrong while importing the contacts. Try Again". Not very helpful at all. 

A little context - I use a highly encrypted email/contacts/calendar application on my Windows 10 PC and on my phones, but since all the data is encrypted they do not sync /share with any external program, including Samsung Contacts. I need the contacts in Samsung Contacts in order to have other applications use the contacts on my phone - like messaging, etc. 

So I export contacts from my encrypted contacts program (.vcf) and attempt to import into Samsung Contacts, and get the above message. 

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userAyuElFDPmv
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I was able to find a workaround that may work for other people as well.

I encountered the problem when trying to import directly through the Contacts Application. Open Contacts, find import function, attempt to import a .vcf file that was previously loaded to my phones internal storage. Not successful. Error message as described above.

An alternative way of importing seems to have been successful - no error message. I placed the file up in Google drive from my PC. I then accessed Google drive from my phone and tried to download the file. It asked if I wished to import the contacts since apparently the SW noticed it was a .vcf file. I said yes, and they imported correctly. 

There you go. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
userAyuElFDPmv
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I was able to find a workaround that may work for other people as well.

I encountered the problem when trying to import directly through the Contacts Application. Open Contacts, find import function, attempt to import a .vcf file that was previously loaded to my phones internal storage. Not successful. Error message as described above.

An alternative way of importing seems to have been successful - no error message. I placed the file up in Google drive from my PC. I then accessed Google drive from my phone and tried to download the file. It asked if I wished to import the contacts since apparently the SW noticed it was a .vcf file. I said yes, and they imported correctly. 

There you go. 

chlfarrar
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Another work-around:

Log into your google profile, click/tap on 9 dots next to your name/profile at top right, click/tap on contacts. On the right next to the printer icon, select import, select your .vcf file. On your phone, go to settings, at top tap on magnifying glass/search, search for 'google contacts sync', at bottom select 'also sync device contacts', select under backup account your gmail account. Wait for it to be synced. Your contacts should be synced.

0 Likes