JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Microphone doesn't work on a start of a phone call Galaxy J3

(Topic created: 03-22-2017 06:56 PM)
user7VJR8KTf2b
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

When I answer or make a phone call, people can't hear what I'm saying. Its like the microphone is off. If I turn on and off the speakerphone then the regular microphone will work fine.. It only does it at the start of a phone call. Please help

110 Replies
SamsungMarcos
Black Hole
Options
Other Mobile Devices

For starters, mind if I get your model number and baseband version of your device. This way I know which specific model to look into and can double check to make sure there's no existing problems on this.

That being said, how long have you noticed this happening? Has it always happened since you got the device, or something that started up only recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

user7VJR8KTf2b
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

The model # is SAMSUNG-:32

Juanisimo
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello there, 

I would recommend that you check the microphone ports of your device. These are located on both the top and bottom of your device. Interference from blockage may be interfering with picking up sound. Additionally, if you have a case on your device. Attempt removing this to determine if the case is leading to what you are experiencing. 

To find information on your model number, you can go to 

Settings -> About Device

Here you can find your Full Model Number and Baseband

useryEYIU2O6Md
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

MODEL NUMBER:-SM-J320ZN (2019)

Juanisimo
Red Giant
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hello there, @user7VJR8KTf2b

I wanted to ask if you were in need of any additional assistance. 

userHHcwsapfYI
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have the same microphone problem. It seems to have started after an update. At first it was only when I was calling out but now it can happen when when I receive a call also.

userT9EJOBFV6d
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Has anyone had any luck speaking to anyone at Samsung about getting this fixed or ???  Thanks in advance for any info....

SamsungMarcos
Black Hole
Options
Other Mobile Devices

May I ask what steps you may have already tried to troubleshoot this? This way I'm not doubling over on anything you've already tried.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userT9EJOBFV6d
Cosmic Ray
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Happens in various locations (outside, inside, different parts of a building, different cities, different states).

Happens randomly, sometimes if I call the person back 3-4 times it'll start working, or not.

Happens intermittently, sometimes several calls go through all day with no issues.

Since it can not be replicated on demand (it is random, intermitent, and not dependent on location), it is very difficult to troubleshoot.

I sometimes turn the phone off and on.  Most of the time the microphone works the next call after that, but sometimes not.  

Because of reading this thread, I've tried turning the speaker phone on and off during the call when the microphone is not working.  Most of the time the microphone starts working, but sometimes not.

I've pulled the battery.  The next call might go through ok, but sometimes not.

It never happened before the one software update I'm aware of I had about 3 weeks after I first bought the phone.

But I've only had the phone 6 weeks so that may have been a coincidence.  This started happening on a regular basis about two weeks ago.  I've been 'testing'/'troubleshooting' every day since then in some form or fashion.  

As someone else on this thread has said, I'm getting really tired of starting every phone call with "can you hear me"?