cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Moving apps to SD card A51

Hi, I am having a Samsung A51 with android 10.0. This is an upgrade for my Samsung A8.
Now there is the problem that I am not able to move any apps from the internal storage to the SD card. Although I have another 80 GB of free space on the SD card, I keep getting "not enough space available". I am fully aware that not all apps can de moved but the button/ability to change it wouldn’t even be in the Settings if it is an app that can’t be moved to an SD card. Documents/Pictures ect. are all stored on the SD card. Anyone familiar with this problem and is there a solution?
I have already tried a new SD card, however, same problem. Putting this SD card back into the A8, no problem for moving apps. Also did a factory reset; after that I can move apps to the SD card but if I need to do a simple restart of the phone the problem is back and all the apps are gone. After re-installing I cannot move them to the external storage.
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Moving apps to SD card

Hi, Sjois,

Although I am still on Android Pie (Note8, Note9, Tab S4), I have had issues moving apps from internal storage to the external storage/sd card.  After enabling Developer options and turning on "Force allow apps on external," most apps can be moved to the external storage/sd card.  

Please check the .android_secure folder on your external storage.  It is a hidden file on your external storage that displays the apps you have moved to your external storage.  To access hidden files, you have to turn on the option to display hidden files in the My Files settings.  I delete app files that are no longer installed on the external storage.

To force apps on external storage via Developer options:

(source:  Android Authority)

1. 1.  Open up your Settings app.
  2. 2.  Tap on the About phone option.
  3. 3.  Scroll down again and find the Build number entry.
  4. 4.  Start repeatedly tapping on the Build number.
  5. Android will pop up a message informing you that in x amount of clicks you will become a developer. Keep tapping until the process is complete. It should be ten taps (Android 10).
  6. You will be asked to enter your PIN number.

Even though some apps display the option to move them to external storage, they will not function if installed on external storage.  Most of the Samsung apps cannot be moved to external storage, but I have installed Samsung Music, Samsung Calculator, & Calendar on an sd card.

I noticed after updating some apps that are installed on external storage, the apps will be on updated and installed on internal storage, and have to be moved back to external storage.  After reinstalling an app to the external storage, I usually delete the duplicate app file in the .android_secure folder in My Files (external storage).

I hope this may help you move apps to your sd card!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi,

Tried this although I thought this was highly unlikely to be the solution. And it isn't. Still get the message: not enough storage space.

Once I put my phone back to factory settings I am able to put apps (candy crush ect.) to my SD card but if I have to restart my phone for some reason it is not possible anymore. First I thought this maybe was an "error" in Android 10 but my colleague with a Note 10 + 64 GB SD card is able to move apps. I am starting to think that there is "just" something wrong with my phone?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Does your friend have Android 10 installed on their phone yet?  

That is weird that you are able to install apps on your external storage after a factory reset, then the apps reinstall on the internal storage after you restart the phone.  

I'm wondering if it is Android 10...

I'm sorry I could not help you, and I hope you find a solution asap!  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes he does have android 10 installed. So I figured it is not a  android 10 issue.

After restarting my phone the apps are not installed back to my internal memory, they are totally gone. I downloaded them again and tried to replace them to the SD card and that's not possible anymore. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Wow, that is bizarre.  I misunderstood you when you said that the apps are no longer installed after you restart your phone.

Have you tried contacting Samsung to see if they may help you?  

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi,

Yes, I did, used remote service.  But they claim they have never seen this problem. Would mean I have to use the repair service. Nearest service center is a 2 hour drive. Phone is only 1,5 week old so it would be a pitty if I have to send it for repair already. Went back to the shop where the phone was bought but they know nothing at all, so that's no help. So I used this US community, hoped members here would know the problem ore had more knowledge about this problem than the Dutch members. But it seems that this is not the case and I really have to send my phone for repair... Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Yes, if someone on the Community cannot help you, I would drive to your repair center to see if they can fix the problem.  If they cannot repair your phone,  please call Samsung then send the phone to Samsung. 

I sent a Note8 to Samsung for repair because I noticed a weird looking blob thingy in the bottom area of the phone when I pulled the S pen out of the phone.  This was my 1st Galaxy Note phone.

A guy with Samsung Technical Support called me to ask me to give him the phone's 'symptoms' because they could not find anything wrong with the phone.  I told him about the blob thingy that I noticed when I pulled the S pen out.  I also told him that I had dropped the phone, which I thought may be the cause of the problem.  

He started laughing, which baffled me. lol.  He said that was normal.  They sent the Note8 back.  This took about 2 weeks.  

I hope you get your phone repaired.  That's terrible that you have had the phone for less than 2 weeks!  

I will look around on the web to see if anyone else had the same problem, and will post here if I find any possible solution for you. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Talked to Samsung NL and at first they said that, with the introduction of Android 10, it is no longer possible to move apps from internal to SD Card. I confronted him with the fact that my colleague does have the possibility and that I also have the possibility after a factory reset. He didn't know what to say and didn't had any other answer. So, only one option left: send it to a repair center. Thanks for your fast response!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

You are welcome, Sjois, and I am sorry I could not help you. 

I looked on the web, and checked on the XDA forum and could not find anything related to external storage issues on the Note10+.  

Although you have already tried some of the suggestions listed on the Android Geeks website, please see if the others may help you.  

Android Geeks website:

https://www.android.gs/how-to-fix-galaxy-note-10-plus-not-detecting-external-storage-card

Have you tried connecting your Note to a computer and moving the files to your sd card manually to see if the apps will stay on your sd card (after restart)?