JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No GPS data added to photos when transferred

(Topic created: 10-10-2022 12:27 AM)
stevef70
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi, I recently bought an A13 and I am delighted with it, but there is one small issue.

GPS location is not being added to the exif data. Pre-empting all those who want to ask, I'll confirm that :

• Location service is on and working in google maps, OSMand, and other apps
  • Camera has permission to access location
  • Camera settings adjusted to add location data to pix

Curiously - and confirming that GPS is working - when viewing the images in the gallery on the phone, I can see a map with a pointer at the location where I took the pic. So the phone knows where it was taken, but when I transfer the pix to my laptop and examine the exif data, all GPS fields are empty.

So what else could it be? I think I've covered everything but I'm happy to be corrected if someone has an answer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
stevef70
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Thanks to @aj347's last comment, I've realised that I've been wrong on a couple of points in this discussion. 

I normally use an app installed on both my phone and my computer which allows me to very easily transfer files from one to another using a 'share' option when files are selected in the phone gallery, but I tried aj347's suggestion of removing the SD card and putting it in the computer - and sure enough, all the GPS data is there.

So the data is being written to the pix, but is stripped sometime during transfer. But by which - the phone or the app???

Using that same app I can browse the SD card from my computer while it is still in the phone, and transfer files just as in any other file manager such as Explorer. Transferring them that way preserves the GPS data. It's not as convenient as the old way, but it is a far better solution than turning the phone off, removing the card, etc etc etc.

Thanks to all for your input.

View solution in context

19 Replies
Laws4321
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Good question indeed
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Photo location is optional. Ensure app permissions are turned on for Samsung Gallery and Camera.

Settings
Locations
App permissions

It appears that you have them turned on for camera, but not gallery, so so information is not being transferred when moving out of gallery.
stevef70
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

That makes no sense at all, as the camera creates the photos and writes the exif data, and has the appropriate permissions....and if I haven't given the gallery any permission how can it read the location?

However, I'll do the experiment and try your suggestion. Stay tuned.

DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I had found that the camera will create the exif data to the photo, but will strip it if sharing it from Gallery if the Gallery permissions are not set also.
stevef70
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Well, the gallery is already allowed access to location while using the app (the highest level available). So this isn't the issue.

stevef70
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Surely someone here can offer help?

0 Likes
Rucki
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have the exact phone and same problem!

Can anyone here help please ?

0 Likes
aj347
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Same issue with my A51. Model SM-A515W

Just want to be able to backup photos to an external drive with all EXIF data. Also wanted to share the pictures with friends that were on the same trip. What's the point of having GPS data attached to a photo if it's held hostage to the phone. 

This should not be such a PITA to resolve. It's a waste of my time having to search and still no idea if the GPS data is in another file/folder or is it removed on the copy of the jpg file.

MSh2
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Same issue with my A52S. I have location info set to ON and all findable permissions set to allow when using the app, but exporting with Windows Explorer to a pc will transfer photos where the GPS info has been stripped from them. I used to have a Huawei and that phone transferred all EXIF data. Why does Samsung choose to do this?