Original topic:

Samsung A52 5G raw photo mode is broken

(Topic created: 05-19-2021 01:23 PM)
userNaa2rHqj6n
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I bought the A52 5G because the camera was substantially improved.

The camera is supposed to be have a functional RAW photo capability i.e. the ability to store photos in the Digital Negative (DNG) format.

However when I try to use this mode of the Camera2 API, which Open Camera and Camera2Probe both confirm exists, the phone freezes for up to 2 minutes and never provides the RAW DNG photo.

Is Samsung aware of this problem?

If necessary I can add some logcat output. I believe I saw some (cryptic) camera related errors.

To reproduce:

1. Install Open Camera or any other camera app that supports RAW.

2. Enable Camera2 API in its settings.

3. Choose the RAW-only or RAW+JPEG file format.

4. Take a photo.

5. Observe that after the camera app has frozen for 1-2 minutes, there is no DNG or JPEG produced.

5 Replies
userNaa2rHqj6n
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I would encourage anyone who has the A52 or A52 5G or similar to follow these steps to verify whether their phone has the same problem.

userNaa2rHqj6n
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I had a telephone call with Samsung support. I only got DNG photos to be generated briefly, then the phone stopped producing them again.

Right now I take a photo, and neither a JPEG nor PNG nor DNG is stored.

Clearly there is a software bug.

0 Likes
userNaa2rHqj6n
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

There's been no response from Samsung in this forum so it's unclear how to proceed.

I fear I may have to return the phone and switch to an iPhone, which is the only phone that has a working RAW photo mode in the same price range.

0 Likes
Agostino
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Same issue with A52 5G (Europe) when using OpenCamera set to jpeg+raw. The app gets stuck and does not save any file.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I cannot use the macro camera in OpenCamera, it gets skipped when cycling the cameras.

0 Likes
useraDCDOKK3rR
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

You might wanna try out the Adobe Lightroom Camera app, which has no problems taking DNG pictures.

0 Likes