Original topic:

Samsung A54: Need to stop auto punctuation and voice to text problems

(Topic created: 02-05-2024 10:55 AM)
CyclingGuy
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I recently purchased a Samsung A54 phone. It has two very frustrating problems. I've watched some videos on YouTube to get a solution but their menus seem different from mine. I have two problems.

1. Using speech to text, this phone does a terrible job of recognizing my words, even if I go very slowly. I'm a native to California, and my English is fine. I have no accent that I know of. No matter how slowly I talk, the phone messes up on most words. How can I make it more accurate? It alsop seems like there a bunch of normal words the phone doesn't know, e.g, dehumidifier. It can give me suggestions to fix what I type in but it cannot come up with that correct word when I say it.

2. Especially when I am using the messaging app (not a Google one),  I get auto-punctuation. It is inserted in the middle of sentences and what it puts at the end of a sentence is mostly wrong.  How do I stop auto-punctuation?

I've had an LG phone, a OnePlus phone, and even a Motorola flip phone many years ago. None of them ever messed up so badly on these two items. In fact, this is the first time I've had auto-punctuation. I was a computer programmer for many years. Whoever wrote the auto-punctuation code should be transferred to the mail room or the janitorial staff and never allowed to do any more software on the phone, IMHO.

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

5 Replies
DomMatt
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices
I'm having a very similar struggle. I'm glad that you are at least getting some type of punctuation using the messaging app. It doesn't for me. I've been using Google voice to text.
BigJohn719
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Hello,.
I am having.
The exact same problem.
For a week now I've done everything I can.
Period I'm ready to give up on Samsung for the first time.
A contact at their customer service and I just wanted to transfer me.
Do a third site.i do stick with A heavy Southern accent.
Never had the problem on any Samsung phone before.
I'm taking the I 54 but.
That was supposed to be back. I've always had Samsung phones.
But announced switching to an iPhone I guess.
I do not recommend this phone to anyone. By the way,?
I have limited you said my right hand so I can no longer.
Type much.
I too have a programming degree and was a programmer for a few years. The programmers that did this do not know what they're doing.
0 Likes
CyclingGuy
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Switching to Google Voice and leaving Samsung Voice, this problem went away! I expected a lot better from Samsung. I'll never buy another Samsung anything.

0 Likes
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Try changing your speech recognition settings from Samsung to Google.

Go to Settings > General Management > Samsung Keyboard settings > Voice input. Select Google Voice Typing. This should give you more accurate results. 1712072503847.jpg1712072503873.jpg1712072503902.jpg
PotatoesSE
Constellation
Options
Other Mobile Devices

We need to get Samsung to look back at their S6 Active keyboard and voice input system.  It was super accurate, understood punctuations, and most impressive they gave a list of homophone words as an edit options.  It was genius, I dont know why they got rid of it. That function really helped with accent too.  S6 Active 2015 keyboard was way ahead of any 2024 keyboard.

I cant believe the best solution is "use Google Gboard." For any Samsung issue, the solution will became "buy a Google Pixel". 

0 Likes